apollo 50b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First problem,radaitors are not reaching full temp, the burner cuts out due to the low temp switch. 2nd problem the gas solonoid valve was O/C, I exchanged that now its fine. 3rd problem drayton motorised valve not operating exchange that lasted two weeks and replaced it again. I now only have the first problem, thought that it was due to air in the system thus the water not circulating and heating up at the boiler, but I have bled the system. My next step is to change the low and high level temp stads in the boiler. Unless anyone can advise me differently.

Sponsored Links
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that:
- the pump is wired correctly (ie. on to the tagstrip on the boiler marked Pump)
- and the pump is actually running when it should be (ie. whenever the room thermostat (you do HAVE a thermostat?) is calling for heat.

Even on the Low setting, the boiler should still get all the rads hot enough before it cuts off.

Thanks for replying.

I have removed the pump and the impellor is turning, the shut off valves were leaking on assembly (cheap type) and I replaced them with quality valves but in doing so I had to drain the system not somethink I like doing).
I have a room thermostadt and I have checked the output its fine. i may have mislead you all the radiators are warm but not like they used to be and the burner is cutting out more often, the output pipe at the boiler is quite warm, hence i thought the water may not be circulating due to air. ( does anyone know the parts/ ident number for the high and low stats).
Any more checks I can do, I will require to wait until Tuesday to purchase the stats???

Sponsored Links
If the Flow pipe from the boiler is only 'warm' when it cuts off, you've definitely got a circulation problem. Even on Low, the pipe should be too hot to touch.
Lack of circulation could well be from air in the system, or a blockage from another cause. Do you also have 2-port Zone valves? 3-port valve? working correctly?

Thanks, I have three port valve, I will try bleeding the system again.

At least a 3-port valve cannot easily cause circulation problems by itself.
Is this boiler in a flat, mounted high up, with all the other bits nearer to the floor? If so, check for bleed screws on the pipes above the boiler.

Thanks for all the advice. I have now changed the hi and low stads and the system is working. However to start with radiators upstairs were roasting and downstairs stone cold. I switched off the burner and left the pump running all night and the system cleared the air, now a very hot house.
question if you half close the return valve on the radiator what effect does that have on the temp of the radiator and the system ????

once again many thanks and my philosophy is if at first you don't succeed give up!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back