Cutting a hole in a cavity wall for an extractor fan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a hole into a cavity wall to fit an extractor fan. I guess the best way to do this would be to use a large core drill but I do not have one of these. So...

1. Do I need to buy / hire a core drill?
2. Is there another sensible way I can do this without a core drill

In addition, do I need to add any support such as a lintel or other reinforcement where I cut the hole?

The hole will be at the centre (left to right) of a gable end wall of a bungalow. The wall is rendered brick on both sides.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How big a hole?

Biggest I have installed was a 12" Expelair - would not want to use a core drill for that.

Choice is a core drill or stitch drill - a series of holes around the circumference and break out the centre.

Depends how neat you want the inside & outside to look.

It's looks like a 6 inch fan so I assume the hole size is approximately this size. The stitch drill is worth considering but I will see how much it will cost to hire a core drill for a day. This might save me some time and give a better end result.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back