Epoxy resin and fibreglass resin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to glue a load of cut n bond engineering bricks together, the price for Araldite would be huge, so I'm thinking of using fibreglass resin cos it's cheaper. Will this be OK? and out of interest, is epoxy resin and f/g resin the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Why not use the proper coloured adhesive, often see it used on the corner bricks for conservatories

Fibreglass resin is a polyester resin and will not react well with any moisture that is in the bricks, it also remains tacky in the presents of air.

I mostly use West Systems epoxy adhesives, should be something in their range to suit your needs

Jason

Fibreglass resin doen't really stick to things. When used as a pond liner, it's recommended to paint a polyurethane bond coat onto the base before fibreglassing because it might not otherwise stick.
So I guess fibreglass resin and epoxy adhesive resin are not the same thing.

Sponsored Links
I take it you're looking at creating a wall with funny angles in them. My advice, for what it's worth, is not to bother bonding them at all, but lay then as normal withour mortar joints on the corners (you can always squeeze some mastic in later), and use metal wall ties over each joint to provide lateral strength.

Jason............West systems, the nearest seems to be Bristol but I'm in Surrey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back