Plasterboarding in Bathroom - Cutout Pipes Before Skimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm about to plasterboard upstairs, including the bathroom.
The radiator and shower pipes all come out from stud partition walls, not he floor.

should I:

A) cutout pipe holes in plasterboard and have the pipes sticking out before skimming.
The disadvantage here is it will be difficult for plasterer to get float around/between pipes to leave a smooth finish.

B) Skim 1st then cutout from other side of the stud wall.
The disadvantage here is I would have to wait for plaster to go off before I could cut out from the other side. Only then would I be able to plasterboard this side and skim.

Hope I've explained this correctly? Which is the correct way to do this?

Sponsored Links
no real correct way i would say.

you're right in thinking it's easier to skim a flat board with no obstacles but a decent plasterer should have small 'pipe/margin trowels; for these types of jobs, still may not be as good as if the pipes weren't there but don't forget they'll be largely hidden anyway.

the skim will dry very quickly on plasterboard, a day probably in this weather, better to cut from the plaster side i think too unless you need to cut from the back?

if you do take option 2 you could be boarding while she's skimming, except of course if you're slow he'll catch you up retty soon.

note: don't forget to leave a gap at the bottom of the plasterboard when fixing, sue some cutoff bits of board to sit the boards onto while you screw then remove them

sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs, just thought i'd mention it

Thanks for the suggestions - any advice is much appreciated.
I'd never done any plasterboarding before, but I've read quite a few guides on what to do now, so I think I'm about ready to give it a go.

One other question I had (I'll post another thread if thats more appropriate?) is regarding the doorframes.
Should I board up to the 3x2 framework, then put the doorframe in after?

I've measured up and if I put the door frame in the centre (depth) there is about a 10mm protrusion on either side. This means when the plasterboard/plaster goes on, there will be a step down to the doorframe. So when the architrave goes on around the frame, it wont be at 90 degrees to the frame.

Hopw I've explained this well enough? i can easily draw a diagram if it helps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back