New combi system - query DHW pipe sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're currently having a new combi boiler installed as part of a biggish extension build, to replace an existing gravity system.

The boiler we're intending to put in is a Wooster Bosch Greenstar 440 CDi (http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/gas-boilers/greenstar-highflow-440cdi).

The plumber has already carried out his first-fix around the new extension with pipework leading up to the existing bathroom. All of the DHW pipework is 15mm copper pipe, and for some reason I was expecting to see a 22mm 'mainline' of pipework branching to 15mm to feed every tap/bath/shower etc. The boiler is not in place yet, but I can only reckon that he's going to connect the 15mm stepped up to 22mm to the boiler.

Is this correct, or should it be 22mm branching to 15mm? The WB product information states that the DHW should be 22mm to the 'first branch' then 15mm from there onwards, and the DHW outlet on the boiler is 22mm. If the nominal setup is to use 15mm pipe, why does the boiler provide a 22mm outlet?

Am confused as hell and can't find anything concrete to suggest what the picture should be. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Cheers,
Gary.
[/i]

Sponsored Links
It should have exactly what the manufacturer has advised.

Thats 22 mm until the FIRST branch to an outlet.

If you have any concerns then ask the plumber who is doing the installation.

However, make sure he is gas safe registered and you can confirm that from the internet.

Its common for builders to use non registered people. One I saw on Tuesday was registered but had done THREE things wrongly when he fitted the boiler!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the clarification.

It should have exactly what the manufacturer has advised.

Thats 22 mm until the FIRST branch to an outlet.

Kind of makes me wonder - why bother with 22mm at all! If all it's doing is carrying to the first branch then 15mm for all subsequent branches, why not just go 15mm from the boiler? I'm not seeing what function the 1m length of 22mm pipe will end up serving...

...make sure he is gas safe registered and you can confirm that from the internet.

Do you have the URL for that off the top of your head, or is it just at the corgi site?

Cheers,
Gary.

Sponsored Links
Few outlets need 20 li/min. Just a bath really.

Normal outlets are fine with a 15 mm feed.

There are conflicting aspects as you need to minimise the VOLUME of the pipework.

If it were close the 20 mm to the bath would be a good idea if yo took many baths.

Tony

Cheers Tony. I'm happy with the requirement for 15mm to service taps etc, my lay understanding of that is that there's less impact on the pressure at one tap if a second is opened if they both branch off a 22 rather than both branching off a 15, no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back