Back boiler ventilation !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone advise !!
We have a back boiler, thorn house warmer S II. Situated in the living room.
Recently an engineer came to renew the meter, in doing so told me that the boiler was unsafe, due to lack of ventilation, and turned off the gas supply.
Pls could someone advise me of how much ventilation is required ? Could we have just one airbrick at the front of the house, if so how big does it need to be ??
Any info apreciated !!

Sponsored Links
don`t have boiler spec to hand but a general rule of thumb (just to give you an idea of size) would be a 5" corecut to outside and fit a Stadium Vent giving 100cm2 ventilation

Again no mi's to hand but i believe 5cms sqared for every kw over 7 (including the fire) so a 20kw combined would need 20-7*5 or 13*5 cms squared. ie 65cms squared assuming it is air direct from outside etc.....best get an rgi to check tho with mi's to hand

Sponsored Links
Obviously I dont know your circumstances but you clearly have never had your boiler serviced otherwise the lack of ventilation would have been identified.

Its very dangerous you you to live in a house with a boiler whitout any ventilation or having ever been serviced! People are killed from defective gas appliances like yours.

Hopefully you will do the right thing for your safety and call a gas engineer to service it and advise on the required ventilation.

Tony

Agile, it's possible this installation has only fell foul after the ventillation changes made to regs last year.......possible this was ncs before but i agree with you on your main point....OP get the installation upgraged asap.......

Or after double glazing has been fitted and there used to be a window vent in the old glass.

How many times do we come across this? :rolleyes:

OP 100cm 2 free air, mustn't be closable and mustn't have any insect grill fitted.

Has to be lined from inside to out.

As above, easiest way is to have a 5" vent fitted using a core drill.

Expect about £60-£80 + VAT

Thanks to all that have replied, i appreciate the advice.

Sorry to sound really thick but does it matter whether the air vent is on the front or the back of the house, as we have a conservatory on the back?!

There has to be a clear passage for air between the vent and the room where the boiler is fitted.

Sometimes the vent has to be increased in size to ensure there is not too much resistance between the air inlet and the boiler.

You seem to be reluctant to call a gas engineer as we have recommended.

After the ventilation has been upgraded the boiler needs to be tested to ensure the ventilation and flue are satisfactory.

Tony

Agile, it's possible this installation has only fell foul after the ventillation changes made to regs last year.......possible this was ncs before but i agree with you on your main point....OP get the installation upgraged asap.......

open flue vent classification changed in 2005!

there are plenty of RGI's servicing BBU's and not mentioning or even checking vents.

there are plenty of RGI's servicing BBU's and not mentioning or even checking vents.

Checking the ventilation is the FIRST thing to do that I teach any of my trainees to do on arrival.

If the ventilation is inadequate there is little point in servicing or repairing if we cannot leave it working!

If we dont leave it working its likely we will leave unpaid !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back