Mirror demisting mat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can people advise me on the following?

I am looking to put a demisting mirror mat in my ensuite when I put a new mirror up.

Can people advise on any particularly good makes or those to steer clear of?

The one I was looking at is the Devi one, but its now the wrong width, however they now do a more standard adhesive foil mat which I can use.

I presume these are fine to put on a bathroom typ mirror (which has a foil backing)?

It seems they just wire direct to the lighting circuit - is this also correct? I was thinking of wiring it to the fan circuit so it only comes on when likelihood of shower is running. The fan is controlled via a fan isolation switch.

And finally - do I really need to inform the local building control or whatever due to part P regs? Just for this? It will increase the cost immensely!

Sponsored Links
You need a 30mA RCD on the circuit feeding the demister, you could run it off the fan circuit (convenient, as the fan should be running when condensation generating activities are happening!). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Can people advise me on the following?

I am looking to put a demisting mirror mat in my ensuite when I put a new mirror up.

Can people advise on any particularly good makes or those to steer clear of?

The one I was looking at is the Devi one, but its now the wrong width, however they now do a more standard adhesive foil mat which I can use.

I presume these are fine to put on a bathroom typ mirror (which has a foil backing)?

It seems they just wire direct to the lighting circuit - is this also correct? I was thinking of wiring it to the fan circuit so it only comes on when likelihood of shower is running. The fan is controlled via a fan isolation switch.

And finally - do I really need to inform the local building control or whatever due to part P regs? Just for this? It will increase the cost immensely!
Sorry yes in England and Wales it will come under Part P. And as already pointed out changes in BS7671:2008 mean that all bathroom electrical items need RCD protection so it is likely to become a costly job. Try some soap on mirror it's a lot cheaper!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back