vaillant 242E - diverter valve changed but STILL hot rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello.
I have a vaillant 242e. 2 of the upstairs rads were getting hot when hot water was being used. So called the npower insurance policy, who said diverter valve, so that was changed BUT still same problem.
Then they say there is sludge in you plate to plate heat exchanger, which means the water isnt going through it fast enough, so heat/how water is going to the rads instead ?? i have no idea how true this is.

ive asked another chap who said it may be the pump overrun not working.?

any help please , anyone had this befre ?
npower have put my policy on hold till i change the heat exchanger .
thanks all

Sponsored Links
...Then they say there is sludge in you plate to plate heat exchanger, which means the water isnt going through it fast enough, so heat/how water is going to the rads instead ...
Total nonsense. It is quite possible that the system is corroded, which possibly contributed to the problem, but it will NOT cause the heat to disappear into the rads.

Typical headless chicken response from service provider. Person suspecting pump being possibly suspect knows no better- boiler will not even get off the starting block if pump was indeed faulty.

Call some one who knows how this boiler works. I am almost certain lack of proper service is the cause of malfunction.

Take the plate out soak it in sentinel x800 overnight, white vinegar will also clean them.
That will get any carp out of it .

Sponsored Links
Take the plate out soak it in sentinel x800 overnight, white vinegar will also clean them.
That will get any carp out of it .
But will it stop the rads getting hot when the ch is off?

Not saying it will but his insurance provider has asked for it so as opposed to paying around £90 .

It seems like they are using an excuse not to come out and properly repair the fault, in which case I doubt that they would be satisfied with a diy job.
I'd say best to clean the whole system as it needs doing anyway and is less complicated than removing boiler parts.

Remove plate couple of screws couple of nuts and ten minutes.
FLUsh whole system whole day and hundreds of ££££.

If you dont think this fault can be caused by a blocked plate why would you want to clean out the entire system

I would recommend (chemically) flushing the system, even if I only doubt that it is clean. For the simple reason that corrosion causes more damage than any other single factor, and most systems are not as clean as they should be.
And it is ever so simple, costs hardly anything, and it will never hurt.

But you said you doubt they would accept a diy repair so how can you say a flush would cost hardly anything?

The 2 are unrelated. System (most likely) needs cleaning anyway; £30 quid and a few hours work will preserve the system, preferably a magnaclean added after clean up job.
Npower needs persuading that they have an obligation to fix the boiler under the insurance cover they provide, in stead of coming up with nonsense excuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back