Connecting a mirror light to the mains (plug socket) with ce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to connect a lit mirror in my bathroom to the mains power socket in the room next door. Sounds easy I know, however I want to run the cable from the mirror to a switch (ideally pull cord) then from there to the plug socket in the next room, however the pull switch I have is for lights connected to the light circuit, L1 L2 and com....so no good...anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated.

I can't connect this light to the lighting circuit due to the location so want it run to the mains

Sponsored Links
in the pull cord switch just run the neutral and earth through (if you are carefull you can do it without cutting them at all if not use chock block).

you also need to use a fused connection unit if connecting a light to a socket cuircuit.

Thanks for the response, you will have to excuse my ignorance as I am an electrical novice.....however am I right in thinking that you mean I can connect the live from the mains to the COM connection, then connect the live from the light to the L1 connection....then just hook the neutrals together seperately?

arthurp8 said:
Thanks for the response, you will have to excuse my ignorance as I am an electrical novice.....however am I right in thinking that you mean I can connect the live from the mains to the COM connection, then connect the live from the light to the L1 connection....then just hook the neutrals together seperately?

yes. jsut make sure that the leisting light aint connected to com and L1

Sponsored Links
Sorry not sure what you mean by leisting light....prob a typo just wanting to check before I electrocute myself....

Also Plugwash do you mean I need a fused pull switch/fuse additional to the one in the plug?

Cheers

Just want a definative this is what to do for a thickie
Cheers

arthurp8 said:
Sorry not sure what you mean by leisting light....prob a typo just wanting to check before I electrocute myself....

Also Plugwash do you mean I need a fused pull switch/fuse additional to the one in the plug?

Cheers

typo. meant existing. dunno where i got leisting from....

EDIT: u also need it to be fed from a FCU. not a plug

we are assuming you will be wiring the light using 1mm twin and earth, in which case you should use an fcu instead of plug.
for an fcu look in the for reference section.

why dont you just wire it to the lighting circuit?

I have no idea how to get into the main lighting circuit from where it is....all wiring is in a subfloor that I ca't get at. Also I don't really know what I am doing so want the simplest option, which switch and plug is (or so I thought)

Am using .75 mm twin and earth....not sure what an FCU is but will check the reference

arthurp8 said:
I have no idea how to get into the main lighting circuit from where it is.... Also I don't really know what I am doing...

...and this is exactly why the government want to regulate electrical work in homes.

Well I'd happily get a sparky round......however he'll stand there being an arrogant and condescending a*** for 10 minutes, then patronise me for another ten minutes before doing the job in 5 minutes, leaving an untidy hole in the wall before walking off with £100!

arthurp8 said:
sorry meant 0.5mm

is this unwise?

sorry that doesn't exist either. it sounds like you are using flex (round stuff, probably white in colour)
I would strongly advise against it for fixed wiring.
May i suggest you go to your local libraray and read more about what you are atempting to do

arthurp8 said:
Well I'd happily get a sparky round......however he'll stand there being an arrogant and condescending ar5e for 10 minutes, then patronise me for another ten minutes before doing the job in 5 minutes, leaving an untidy hole in the wall before walking off with £100!

Ah. I see you have little experience of decent tradesmen then. I get half my work from referrals and almost all the tradesmen I meet are excellent with the customer. Don't believe everything you see on the telly or hear down the pub. Sure, you'll have to pay, but then again you have already confessed that you don't know how to do it yourself. Do you service or repair your own car/central heating/computer?

Get three quotes and if you don't like a person then don't employ him. (I haven't yet met a female spark, although I have met a plumber-girl. :D )

indeed...I think I will get a pro in.....wasn't wanting to knock sparkys as a rule just had bad experiences with tradesmen in the past.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back