Jammed External Water Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My external tap is leaking and I wanted to replace the washer.

Unfortunately I could not turn the main body knot as it is jammed solid. I used bit of 3-in-one oil to release but it just does not move. I am scared of doing damage to the pipe if I force more.

Can anyone please give me a tip how to undo the jammed knot? Otherwise I will have to call out a plumber and pay for this little job which I could do myself.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
unscrew the bib tap from the back plate and take the tap and place into a vice use a hefty pair of adjustable spanners and all will be well ;)

If you can cut the water supply off and empty the water in the pipes you may try the old mechanical engineering trick of heating the area up with a blowtorch first.

It does help, but I accept no responsibility for you burning your house down if you try it. ;)

Sorry to drift but I’m not sure it’s worthy of a new topic.. Are modern day BSP water taps threads no longer tapered? I only ask because when I recently fitted this a while ago after winding the tape on it didn’t feel like it was getting tighter with each turn, as they used to do years ago.

Instead it screwed all the way in with the same resistance as though it’s not tapered.

Am I imagining it? :confused:

Its a parallel thread.
Bty you shouldn't fit bib taps with built in check valves. They are not legal.

The reasoning behind this is if the tap freezes the check valve could break so therefore useless.
Fit a separate double check valve inside the house.

Sponsored Links
Ah, the taps themselves are not "illegal" though are they?

a check valve is required inside, but whats wrong with having a DCV one outside too?

EDIT: By the way, that exact tap is available at B&Q for a fiver :D

True enough the taps themselves are not illegal but fitting them outside without a double check inside IS.
Most people (even tradesman) don't know the water regs.

True enough the taps themselves are not illegal but fitting them outside without a double check inside IS.
Most people (even tradesman) don't know the water regs.

The regs say (check valves) should be fitted inside. So not a legal requirement.

By the way, that exact tap is available at B&Q for a fiver :D
Every time!
angry-smiley-005.gif
Every bloomin' time!
jumping-smiley-011.gif

:D

If you do the work at least learn the rules!
Well I agree but, IMHO, that may be a little harsh. If we’re not sure about something then we shouldn’t be afraid to ask here for fear of a rebuke.

As a self-confessed ‘Jack of all, master of none’ we can’t all afford to get professionals in and so just try our best, based on the best advice etc. Presumably this is the idea behind DIYnot?

I’m sure most of us have performed basic servicing on our cars without ever going on a course and the potential to screw things up is there too but, again, we try our best.

We should never do anything which is potentially dangerous of course and I think it’s always best to get someone to check over what you have done, or are going to do, wherever possible.

But if the worst outcome is a bit of mess and expense, which is all it could have been in this case, I wouldn’t be quite so censorious. I think it's laudable that he’s having a go and sticking his neck out here for help.

I bet you hate me now :rolleyes:

No I don't hate you, the comment applies (mainly) to those who do the work for gain.
Everyone and their dog thinks they can do a bit plumbing work and if they get it wrong then worst case is a bit mess and it's hardly rocket science, is it?
We have water regs, to protect the public's health.
If things do indeed go wrong (maybe a year or two down the line) best case is half the street sh!ting through the eye of a needle, worst case is much worse. It's not just gas that can kill people!
If only half a dozen people read through the earlier link and learn something then it is a worthwhile post.
Another FYI for anyone who may be interested
http://www.wras.co.uk/Directory/
Because you can buy it don't mean you can (legally) use it.
We are here to help..........really ;)

You know a few years back (only about 15 or so) we used to have water officers "prowling" the streets serving notices on people for things like dripping overflows (waste of water) and suchlike and just generally making sure things in their district were complying.
Never saw one for years.......that's progress eh.

Unfortunately I could not turn the main body knot as it is jammed solid. I used bit of 3-in-one oil to release but it just does not move. I am scared of doing damage to the pipe if I force more.
It's a basic mechanical principle - put a big adjustable wrench around the body of the tap to provide a counter force as you undo the headwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back