Bath a little short & cat iron soil stack drip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, great forum. I have 2 questions i'd like to have advice on if possible please.

Firstly, I am fitting a new bathroom suite for my sister on Wednesday, and the old bath was a standard 1700 x 700 mm. The new one is just shorter in length at 1690mm. So I am going to have a 10mm gap from the wall. The bath goes from an external wall to the airing cupboard at the other end. What can I do to fill the approx 10mm gap, from your experience what is the easiest option? I plan to also re-tile the bathroom, around the bath area and above the basin, as it currently already is.

My second query is, at my house we have a cast iron soil stack (painted black). we have a 2 pipe waste system, with the bath/basin water running via a hopper head down into the gulley.

The soil stack, where the WC connection branches in at a 45degree angle, has a very small drip. Is there any quickish/cheaper way to fix this without having as whole new stack fitted? I do not know how this started, we just noticed it last week and it is a little annoying.

Thanks for your help everyone, and I'd be very thankful for any advice on my 2 queries.

All the best.

Sponsored Links
Question 1: Silicone

Question 2: Silicone

A 10mm gap is nothing. Split the difference, fill gap with silicon and new tiles will cover it.

Unless you can still buy a caulking iron somewhere to redo the lead joint on the soil pipe and anyway it would take too long to explain how it is done put some silicone around the joint

Put denso tape round the soil stack not silicone.

You can always cut some tiles to fill the gap and overlap on to the bath a bit, or just silicone it.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I will use silicone or denso tape as you suggest. What is a decent type to buy? Just clear silicone? Unibond brand? If I use denso tape, do I just wrap it around the stack covering the leak/hole part??

Do I just smear around the leak in the stack? And also... with the bath, will i need a piece of wood in the gap or something to smear the sealant on??

Thanks again for your help.

cut the denso tape into strips to fit around the stack, then wrap them round and smooth them out with ya fingers. (sticky stuff, but its perfect for what you need)

Just buy a tube of silicone and a gun, and squirt it into the gap! then smooth over with a damp finger.

I've still got a half a dozen irons, different sizes. It's been a while since they have saw daylight though!

They must be about 75 yo. Given to me when i was an apprentice by a retiring tradesman.

If you want a decent silicone buy Dow 785

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back