Kitchen Wal Units - Advise on fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Some advise needed please.

I need to fit a wall mounted kitchen unit which weighs about 30kg. The wall is plasterboard with an approx gap to the brick wall of about 20mm. I can`t seem to find any battens behind the wall so my dilemma is what type of fixing to use. I know that fixing direct to the plasterboard is a no no. I have thought of using wall anchors ( rawl Plug Type ) but they will "pull out" as soon as I try to tighten them.

Would a simple 50mm rawl plug and 60mm screw do the job but the only ones i can find are medium duty and not heavy duty.

Would appreciate some help as the wife is getting on my nerves.

Sponsored Links
My suggestion is that you consider cutting out the plasterboard in the area to be covered by the cupboard, and either fixing directly to the wall behind or, more likely, fixing battens to the wall then fixing the cupboard to that.

Xerxes,

Many thanks for reply. I thought that might be the only solution. What sixe battens would i need?

I'd use battens of a thickness to come flush with the surface of the surrounding plasterboard, or just below. After you've fixed the cupboard and made good around the edges, it would look as if you'd fitted the cupboard to the surface of the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Xerxes,

Thanks again. One last question.

I presume it would be best to fix horizontal battens as this is the longer length (1,2m) instead of vertical as this is only 800mm. Any particular width of batten eg 50mm or 75mm to avoid splitting them when drilling through?

Yes: I'd use horizontal battens as this is more likely to suit the fixings for the wall cupboard (but check where the screws for these will go). 50mm seems plenty wide enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back