Crimping to join cable to extend ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy folks!

After having alot of good advice from here (thanks to all), i AGAIN wanted assistance - well advice really.

Im planning to extend into a ring to include for additional sockets/FCU's.
The existing legs run from the ceiling of a flat roof so access is a bit of a problem to rip it all out and start again.

The exisitng legs supply one double socket only so my plan is to extend via one of the cables to add a couple of FCU's (DW & WM)

Plan is, to join one of the cables inside the original box and then run new cable round to include said FCU's and finally returning to the original box where the join will be made (crimps/heatshrink)

Any one recommend a good "cheap" set of crimps & where to get 'em from - i have seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400061896261&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But they could be a load of rubbish.

I know good quality tools mean good quality work but i dont really wanna spend £50 for a set which i wont use much again.

Any comments / advice on doing this welcomed.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The pair shown in picture do seem OK. But don't forget outer sheave. If you don't protect the cable damp may get into joint and damage it. There are many ways from the epoxy resin lined heat shrink to self amalgamating tape and some standard tape to protect that.
Remember you can bury a "Cable" but not "Wires" in a wall and without outer sheave it is not a cable. Also of course now unless Ali-tube or similar any new cable in the wall will need RCD protection.

The "job" im planning is in conjuction with a new CU - been told its a Crabtree with RCBO's to be installed so im assuming that the circuit will be sufficiently protected by this?

The legs that come down the wall are sheathed in a PVC oval conduit which terminates directly above the gang box for the existing double socket.

To avoid ripping out the conduit and the existing cables, i was planning to join inside the original box with ratchet crimps and adhesive lined heatshrink (have heard this method can be plastered over as its not classed as an inaccesable join - but to save having to replaster etc i was told that a join using the same method would be sufficient and can be located inside the box itself).

One question though would be:

Considering that one leg of the existing 2.5mm will be connected to the terminals on the existing double, then my extended ring cable can run from the same double's terminals, on to 1st FCU - onto the next FCU and must then return to the original double socket where it will be joined with the original unconnected leg.

Is the best way to return the cable to its origin going to be feeding it back through the gang boxes or is there a trick to avoid this?

Note that the new FCU's are going to be placed in line horizontally with existing double with a space of about 50mm so i can tile between 'em! - any regs on spacing?

IF there is space in the back box for the joints then they are accessible and you do not need to crimp them - you could use chocblocs.

You might need to fit a deeper box to do this.

Sure the pros will shoot me down as not an ideal installation but why overcomplicate?

Sponsored Links
Must say im not a huge fan of using blocs - i know the join would be "accessible" by removing the double socket plate so i COULD use blocs i suppose........

I WOULD however prefer the join to be as good as possible hence the "crimp/heatshrink" approach - once its done its the best way ive heard of to join cables and its a nice clean permanent join which will be suitably insulated by the crimp itself and the added "jacket" of adhesive heatshrink.

Mind you, if i do use deeper boxes, that will allow me a bit more room to return the extended run back to its origin - well in theory any hoooo!!

Again, keep the comments comin' and thanks for any input!

Oh, and thanks Ericmark - i know they are cheap flea-bay ones but its not like they are gonna be hammered every day like the pro's.

If they last the job out then thats all i need really i guess.......although if better quality ones are to be had elswhere for not much more i'd like to know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back