Help IDEAL BOILER No Hot Water or Heating or pilot light :0(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm hoping someone can help please we live in a 10 year old newbuild with obviously a 10 year old boiler.
Today we noticed there was no hot water my husband put the water heater on but still no hot water he put the central heating on to test it but the radiators were stone cold even tho the sounds coming from the heating system sounded completely normal with water pumping around the house as usual.
Upon further investigation he found the pilot light in the garage was out so he went through the appropriate measures to relight it unfortuntley it never did light...
Any info would be greatly appreciated pleaseeeeeeeeee :0) We'd rather not call out an engineer if we can help it he is the kinda person thats a diy kinda person.
I wish now i had taken out the extended home cover for plumbing my policy renews tomorrow i'm wondering if ican stick the cover on then wait a few weeks before using it to call a plumber out any info appreciated..

Sponsored Links
More info required, what type of boiler is it, what type of system have you got?

Thanks for your reply i have the instruction booklet here it is a :
Ideal classic LXRS & RS 230 -260 - Wall mounted, balanced flue gas boilers

Check the overheat stat if it has one fitted, it is usually on the right hand side of the control box just to the right of the boiler control thermostat knob.
If that isnt the problem then it is most likely going to be a thermocouple or gas valve problem and you will need to get a RGI in.

Sponsored Links
Having had a futher look at it when taking the top off there seems to be some kind of seals which look like they are made of rope all the way around the joints of the 2 outside peices of the boiler see pic below i have taken a closeup also to show you the seal. When we looked into the small eye hole where the pilot light sparks it looks like the ropey/sealey thing on the inside above has fallen down inside near the pilot light and is hanging down its obviously come into contact with the pilot light as its sindged and burnt so my husband managed to get a long pair of operating tweezers in and cut it away well actually he said it disintegrated when he touched it anyway he cleaned it away from the pilot light it still won't start tho it sparks but won't light he said the gas is coming through he can smell it.
He is talking tomorrow about trying to light it with a large taper i'm not over the moon by that idea. I think your right we need to call out an engineer does anyone know what kind of price we will be looking at and whats actually wrong with it i know its naughty but whats the likely hood if we signed up for one of those heating plumbing schemes if we wait a few weeks and call them out would we get away with it?

boiler1.jpg

boiler2.jpg

boiler3.jpg

do NOT try and light it with a long taper.

do NOT do anything else to your boiler

contact an RGI at your first instance

this will be easily rectified, but your actions are putting yourself in danger
which your buildings insurance will not cover

joining a plumbing/heating scheme thingy will cost, probably as much as or more more than a call out, also there will be obvious evidense of DIYing which would more than likely tell an engineer you telling porkies.
You need a RGI as you other half has no idea what he is doing or how to fix it - and putting your entire household in danger of CO poisoning.

jesus christ what the hells going on here weve got un qualified people taking combustion chambers and trying to fix boilers now?

this is why im a little bit in protest of this forum as people think they can come here and get DIY boiler diagnostics guides to repairs. in my opinion if you can not resolve your problem by either operating a customer control you should be contacting a gas safe engineer

jesus christ what the hells going on here weve got un qualified people taking combustion chambers and trying to fix boilers now?

this is why im a little bit in protest of this forum as people think they can come here and get DIY boiler diagnostics guides to repairs. in my opinion if you can not resolve your problem by either operating a customer control you should be contacting a gas safe engineer

its been 19 months since yer last post, where ye been, JAIL!

MANY THANKS for all your reply just in reply to the engineer who seems against this forum i would like to say well thanks to this forum i shall be forcing my other half to do exactly what you have all explained and call in an engineer :0) so this forum has been fab :0)

Its just to be honest the fear of the unknown and of being well sorry to say utterly ripped off having seen all these programes on tv.

I've managed to get a number from a neighbour who says the person is trustworthy either that i noticed British gas have a quote system for fixing things i'll maybe try and give that a call then once fixed take out a policy for future probs which may arise with it being 10 years old.

For once all the engineers who have replied here have been totally responsible and correctly advised you to get a gas registered engineer.

Hubby has removed a combustion cover which must be sealed properly to ensure safety when its refitted.

Your boiler does not even have a pilot light if I recall correctly. It lights the gas electronically whenever it needs to.

Its actually one of the most reliable boilers ever made but obviously a fault after 10 years is not too unreasonable.

It might well be a relatively minor fault and if you were in our local area I would be telling you that many faults would be fixed for under £100 unless the fan or gas valve had failed in which case it would be about £200 which makes a BG fixed price repair good value.

Tony

Tony it's an RS not an FF! Dirty pilot probably if not touched in ten years I would also be replacing the inner hex to inner chamber seals if I was going to it!!

Yes, its an older simple one unlike the one upstairs which has run for the last five years without any attention!

Regardless it needs a gas registered engineer who can solve the problem.

If all the problem is the pilot light then if the OP lived in our local area our cost would only be £84 and perhaps a small part at an extra £8.

Tony

I have just read him all of the above he has instructed me to try the quote system on british gas tomorrow :0)
Thanks again just for refence he menstioned when the pilot light has gone out before its always been difficult to relight. Also the seal thing on the inside was hanging down loose infront of the pilot light and when he touched it it disintigrated to peices its still lying in the bottom of the thingy he didn't open it he simply took the outside cover off to take a pic..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back