How to tell whether leak has been fixed successfully or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondring if anyone can advise me...

I had a leak in my roof, and water was dripping down and caused a crack in a bedroom wall.

Builders came and did some work on the roof, but the crack appears to be widening and I'm worried the leak hasnt been dealt with fully.

Can anyone suggest the best way to tell whether the leak has been dealt with 100% successfully or not?

E.g painting over the crack and seeing if the paint discolours, or any other suggestions would be gratefully received?

Thanks

tb

Sponsored Links
Rub some Anhydrous Copper Sulphate salts :eek: into the crack when you`re sure it`s bone dry. any water will make them turn blue. Learned that in the 60`s @ school :LOL: Then ask on painting forum about cleaning the blue stain :oops:

The crack will widen as it dries out. It does not widen because it gets wet.

Tissue paper or some dry dust from the floor on your fingers, will tell you if it is wet

Depending on the amount of water, it wont fully dry for several weeks

My builder got his helper to pour a bucket of water on the repaired area or the roof, while he watched from within the loft space for leaks.

Sponsored Links
a bucket of water would be no good as a test of a leak is the leak was caused by wind . what kind of roof is is? slate, tile, flat lead? a pic would be most helpful

Test for pitched roof leaks with a hose pipe.
Why should a roof leak cause a wall to crack? Perhaps the water entry is thro the brickwork of the wall in question?
Much more info reqd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back