Gutter/Roof NOT fixed...what now ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Am new here - so pardon any errors in my 1st post. I have a gutter between my utiility room and my conservatory - there's been a leak coming into the conservatory wall for quite a while. I decided back in Feb to get this fixed - the original roofer took the job - however it never got fully fixed and if anything has become worse. After the 3rd visit the boss of the company visited and said 'they should never have taken the job and he was going to kill the original guy'. It's now been 6 months since and countless visits later - it still isnt fixed. The last time the boss turned up (who is quite aggressive and 6'5" at least) - he said I should never have any problems again. Basically I think he cemented every corner up he could - I havent taken a look as yet. What I do think is - to get me off his back he's fixed it as quickly as possible and probably not correctly.

We had a severe downpour 1.5 weeks ago (1 months rainfall in a day) in London - and guess what it leaked again quite badly... I've told him to come and visit but reckon he's just going to be messing around now. He originally charged £800.00 to get this fixed - my question is what can I do about this now ? Should I call someone else ? Should I get trading, standards involved ? Should I let the guys off the hook ?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Sandy

Sponsored Links
? Should I call someone else ?

you have answered your own question really!

if after x amount of attempts to repair the gutter and all unsucesfully i would think it wise to get another contractor involved.

these type of jobs can sometimes turn out to be difficult to remedy especially if their has been previous attempts to rectify.

if you intend to get another company involved you must first give the existing contractor a chance to rectify his work within a given timescale, otherwise any works carried out to rectify will be invoiced to him.

for £800 i would not let him off the hook!!!.

Any chance of a picture..? what sort of a gutter :confused:

Sponsored Links
£35 - £50 would have been a fair price. :rolleyes:

working on the assumption its a valley gutter between conservatory and utility.

Thank you all for your replies. Met the roofer yesterday and tried the 'Nicey, nicey' approach - he's agreed to have another go and have a think about what to do next and will try out a final idea on Friday. He's also said that if that doesn't work I can have my money back - which is very fair and kind of him.

So to datarebal - top advice re: 'Try asking and not telling'....

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back