External garage power socket - already have a light in there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've been reading your opinions for a while now before getting a pro in to do the job, but I can't find an answer to this one:

My garage is 20 metres away and it has a light in there, powered by a cable from my house (which goes under three other houses I presume). It was built in 85 and all the houses in my terrace have this to their garages.

I would like a power socket in there, to run a vacuum cleaner, soldering iron, jigsaw - that kind of thing - nothing big, never the lawn mower. I am going to get an electrician in to do it, but wondered if it's a simple job (never!) and roughly, to the nearest £50, how much it would be?

Cheers,
Shakers

Sponsored Links
Impossible to tell. This man may be able to help

A lot will depend on where the feed comes from, how it is fused, and the socket will need to be RCD protected.

So, as a guide, lets say about the same as a meal out, for two.
Could be at Pizza Express, could be at the Fat Duck.

Estimates should be free, can you get a couple to compare if you are getting pro's in?

As Taylortwocities said, there are too many variables for us to understand the work required.

If you gave us a little more info about the site fabrics, distribution location and even maybe some pictures of the run then maybe we could tell you if it's pizza or snail porridge.

Sponsored Links
He has a dead slug on his face and he hasn't noticed; surely, he's not to be trusted!

I should have put more info in the first post, sorry. It's fused (13A) in a socket next to the back door. The cable comes out of the rear wall and dissapears underground in a bigger white tube. It's goes into a metal box in the garage, before running to the light in there.

Are we thinking that whatever I want to change, will probably need a new fuse box, because of the new regs?

Thanks both, I will get quotes, but I don't want to waste their time until I know I can afford it, catch 22!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back