Drill chuck removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just acquired a secondhand Elu mains drill (EMD403); I'd like to change the chuck for a better one if possible.

Looking inside the chuck where I'd expect to find a retaining screw (the drill has reverse), I can see what looks like a screw. It has a very shallow slot, with a dimple in the centre. It seems to turn freely in either direction, without undoing or tightening. The slot is so shallow that it's hard to get a screwdriver to engage in it.

(The exploded diagram I've found for the drill does show a screw, but the definition is too poor to give any details.)

On the shaft behind the chuck there are no flats where I'd expect to find them, to hold the shaft while the chuck is unscrewed.

Does anyone have any ideas on the way to remove this chuck? It's marked 1/2 - 20, so I know it's a screw mount.

Sponsored Links
screw is probably a security screw.. the dimple in the middle prevents the use of a regular flat screwdriver.

to remove the chuck, screw it clockwise, they have a reverse thread..

the "shock" method is the way to remove the chuck.. put an allen key into the chuck and grip the drill securely ( a vice works well ).
strike the allen key in the right direction.. it WILL spin, so watch your knuckles..
it should shock the chuck loose..
if not try it again until it does..

Thank you. The centre of the screw has a dimple (a depression, concave); it doesn't prevent a normal flat blade seating in the slot. The problem is that the screw doesn't seem to be threaded, either left or right hand: turning it doesn't do anything.

And yes, I've already tried the usual method of fitting a large hex key in the chuck and smacking it with a hammer. It doesn't have any effect.

Sponsored Links
Hi any further tips on removing a torqued chuck?

I've one on a core drill and I've belted the Allen key senseless to no avail. Tried soaking it in wd40 too. Will not budge.

Help!

Hi any further tips on removing a torqued chuck?

I've one on a core drill and I've belted the Allen key senseless to no avail. Tried soaking it in wd40 too. Will not budge.

Help!
I gripped a large hex shank with the chuck, locked the chuck from turning, then used an impact driver on the shank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back