floor screed - couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am planning on doing some screeding in my new kitchen extension this weekend, and have a couple of questions.

1 - dont scream at me..... but I will be getting a couple of tonnes of sharp sand delivered, can I mix in about a half tonne of soft sand that I have left over from the brickwork?

2 - mix, I have been told somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 sand/cement, could someone confirm which is better for my purpose

3 - depth, my kitchen was originally a smaller bathroom which I built around and then knocked down.... leaving the floor of the bathroom intact in the new 'kitchen' floor..... should I rip this up (its quite well done and solid with stone tiles - not nice ones) or can I screed over the top?..... this would mean that it is slightly thinner over this area.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
1 - dont scream at me..... but I will be getting a couple of tonnes of sharp sand delivered, can I mix in about a half tonne of soft sand that I have left over from the brickwork?
No. Although it may do no harm, it will effect the strength of the product and will effect the way you rub up and trowel the finished product.

2 - mix, I have been told somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 sand/cement, could someone confirm which is better for my purpose
4:1 will be strong enough but don't go any weaker.

3 - depth, my kitchen was originally a smaller bathroom which I built around and then knocked down.... leaving the floor of the bathroom intact in the new 'kitchen' floor..... should I rip this up (its quite well done and solid with stone tiles - not nice ones) or can I screed over the top?..... this would mean that it is slightly thinner over this area.

How much thinner?

Thanks Noseall.

1 - yup, I just stuck with the sharp to be careful!

2 - yup, followed that

3 - in some cases it actually ended up being just under 100mm because of some uneveness in how the base was put in, in most places is is about 65-70mm
In the place where the kitchen tiles are still in place, the depth is still about 40-50mm so hopefully that will be ok?

NB I am doing this in 3 stages due to the room being used as a temporary kitchen!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back