How to calculate water flow in property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just wonder if someone could link online calculator for water flow? I got water pressure and internal pipe diameter which, from my point of view, should be enough to get flow of liters/min out of those two factors.
The reason I am asking is that I need 1.3 bar and 100 liters/min in order to successfully install water sprinklers in my household without need of pump and extra tank.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions please?

Yes, buy a smoke alarm and when it goes off ....
1- Get out!
2- Stay out!
3- And get the fire brigade out!
:rolleyes:

You would have to know the supply pressure as well !

In any case I dont know of any calculation site !

But using rule of thumb you would need about 40 mm pipe at the start but it could step down on the way.

In reality it would normally be supplied from a distribution manifold.

I would have expected you could use diversity as you dont expect all the sprinklers to be operating at the same time unless you had a massive fire!

Something like that is not usually considered a normal DIY job !

Tony

Well, I wouldn't install it at all but thats requirement of local planning department if I want to convert my loft. Its just to high above the ground as per regulations if only fire escape windows would be considered. Basically if I want to convert it this is only way to do it.
I know it is not DIY job because architects require certification on the end of the job. So I called company which install those sprinklers and they come out with quotation of £7500 for loft and downstairs with pump and tank if not enough pressure found in property. Without tank and pump £3500. I guess its a rip off but I am trying to find out on my own if their required 1.3 bar and 100 liters/min flow could be in my mains. In that case I will save few £. Of course I will see quotations of others as well but there are not many companies out there unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
100 litres per minute! I very much doubt you'll have that.

There's a few more factors than just pressure and pipe size to consider. Things like the length of the pipe run and the number of fittings (bends, tees, stop valves etc.) will all influence the pressure and flow rate available.

Then there's the supply characteristics which you have no control over, including the water supply companys infrastructure, which may have been in place since Queen Victoria was on the throne.
Water consumption by their other customers nearby will also affect the flow and pressure available to you.

Upgrading your mains water supply to suit would often be cheaper than the storage tank and pump ( supposing the fire tripped off the mains power? ).

Just how high is this loft conversion? Is a fire escape ladder not another possibility?

If the height really is great then the mains water pressure may not be high enough as the pressure falls as you increase the height and the sprinklers need 1.3 Bar dynamic pressure IN THE LOFT !!!

It sounds like a massive loft ???

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back