Security chain for UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B&Q have lots of security chains, but they're all labelled as suitable for timber doors. Does anyone do a chain specifically for UPVC? What's the procedure for drilling and fixing screws into UPVC - I've never done it?

Sponsored Links
The ERA door chain now comes with screws and insert to fit PVC as well as timber. If buying one, check that it is not old stock as they used to come only with screws for timber.

They are widely sold in hardware and DIY retailers. I have one and compared it to the Chubb I recently fitted for a friend, it appears to be almost identical but has a slightly better chain.

Looking at the way they work, I think a door chain is weaker where it goes into the frame, since this part usually has only two screws, and the force is end-on to the screws, whereas the door part has 4 screws and the force is sideways-on.

You can also get a door restrainer that fixes to the wall beside the hinge side of the door, they look like a very good design if you have a return wall there. I think it is called "Door Defender"

edited: here it is http://www.doordefender.co.uk/

I have no connection with the company and have never used one. You can often see them cheap on ebay.

Sponsored Links
I have just learned that a young man is entering my mother in laws house ( shes 84 years of age ) by undoing the chain fitted on the upvc door from the outside - He is an ex boyfriend of her great grand daughter. He comes in then mows her lawns and she pays him for doing it, he also invites himself along shopping with her.

I dont think the chain is any good thats on the UPVC back door so what would you recommend??
Any Advice please? I am female would i be able to fit it on her house??

Door chains are a waste of time and effort.
1, easily bypassed from outside,
2, easily kicked off once door is opened,

Either do not open the door, or get a cheap basic intercom.
£15,00 will get a simple panel and handset.

If a wooden door fit a spyhole.

Door chains are not worth the packaging they come in.

I have just learned that a young man is entering my mother in laws house ( shes 84 years of age ) by undoing the chain fitted on the upvc door from the outside - He is an ex boyfriend of her great grand daughter. He comes in then mows her lawns and she pays him for doing it, he also invites himself along shopping with her.

I dont think the chain is any good thats on the UPVC back door so what would you recommend??
Any Advice please? I am female would i be able to fit it on her house??

Change the lock.
Do not leave the door on the chain.
Call the Police.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back