Timber Holiday Chalet Rennovation (and insulation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am looking for some useful tips and guidance.

I am planning to rennovate a timber holiday chalet and wish to insulate it so it is habitable at any time of the year should we choose to use it. It is 10m x 4m in size.

The structure is probably 50 yrs old but structurally sound. It is essentially a large, very well built shed!! It is clad with 22mm (ish) softwood traditional cladding. The roof is pitched and cladded, with a ply wood surface layer - then felted. The main structure is constructed using 4" timbers.

I would like some advice on the most simple and cost effective way to insulate the chalet so my family can use it in the winter as a holiday home or occaisional use. My initial thinking is as follows:-

ROOF
1) Use say 80mm sheets of Celotex and fix it directly over the existing roof (removing the felt if I need to).
2) Then fit sheets of ply (screwed through the celotex and into the roof joists.
3) Then apply the felt layer/s.
4) I would leave the internal roof elements un-touched. The beams and underside of the cladding are exposed and make an attractive feature.

Question 1 : Would this essentially create a "warm-roof"?
Question 2 : Are there any condensation risks - if so how do I deal with this?
Question 3 : How do I calculate the U Values for this?
Question 4 : Is this even viable?!!

WALLS
1) Insulate between timbers with rockwool, and then 50mm celotex over the top before plasterboarding.

FLOOR
1) The floor is timber plank, the chalet is sat on concrete pads and timber joists. I would fit jablite over the existing flooring planks, then chipboard over that.

General Question : I do not know how to calculate the U Values for this approach and hence gauge the performance/comfort overall. If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated.

Some alternative suggestions regarding the roof insulation would be very much appreciated, I am not sure how viable my plan is!!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back