Water pipe hammer from outside the house

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone experienced pipe hammer, apparently caused from outside the house where the hammer is heard?

There's no water appliances in use inside, the heating is off, but every so often there's a hammer noise running through the whole house (2-storey detached property). My theory is that it's happening when others in the street shut off their water, and the resulting 'stop' and momentary variance in pressure causes the hammer in our property.

As to a cure...would the water company be interested? Could I cut down the effects from elsewhere by reducing the inlet pressure at the main water cock?

Any thoughts or comments.....

Sponsored Links
Closing the stopcock doesn't affect the static water pressure, which is what your system is subject to if there's no water flowing. It just limits the maximum flow rate when you do turn a tap on. It may have some effect, but it's treating the symptom, not the cause.

Are there any 'dead legs' on your system ( capped off pipes going nowhere)? These sometimes trap air, which then works like a spring, encouraging water hammer.

Dead legs are best removed completely as they can also become breeding grounds for bacteria and other nasties.

Properly clipping down any unsupported pipes can help too.

Nice quarter turn taps with flexible hoses is brilliant for getting water hammer.

Have you got a water meter and a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Dead legs - hmm, not sure - will need to have a looksee; it's the mother's house, you see.

All the pipes I've seen so far seem to be firmly secured, but haven't looked in the loft yet.

As far as I know, there's no flexible hoses anywhere; just lots of copper pipe with solder ring or compression fittings.

There's no water meter, and the boiler is a conventional style which heats hot water through a circuit through the hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back