Replace Ideal Boiler or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal WLX RS60 Boiler that is around 22 years old. I have it regularly serviced by British Gas and it hasn't caused me any problems in all the time I have had it. British Gas say that some of the parts are no longer available and recommend me replacing the boiler. Should I take British Gas's advice and replace the boiler, I know boilers these days are much more efficient but would I be wasting my money buying a replacement while the current one is working okay.

If the recommendation is to buy a replacement, what boiler should I go for and should I buy it through British Gas or go elsewhere. I live in a 4 bed semi.

Thanks
Kevski

Sponsored Links
BG are thinking Kerching!!!

You have a Boiler ,which is still in good order, the main parts, i.e. Gas Control Valve, Control Thermostat, Thermocouple are all still availible, most cosmetic parts and the heat exchanger and casing are not, but if one of these should fail, then you would be looking for another boiler anyway.

My advice would be hang on to what you have, whilst it is reliable and safe to use, but should you be considering improvements such as a new kitchen around the boiler, then that could be a good time to consider a replacement.

Shame on BG and their scare tactics :rolleyes:

If your gas bill is over £800 p.a. then you would probably be beter getting a new condensing boiler as their gas consumption is about 25% lower!

British Gas usually charge about £1000 more than a reasonable independent!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It is generally good advice to ignore all advice from british gas. My ex has just been advised to replace the boiler, and as far as I can see, a new pump will do the job. :rolleyes:

hardly scare tactics :rolleyes: its been recommended not told with a gun to the head.

OP, plenty of parts not available but as said the majority of the parts that regularly go faulty are. if you are the kind of person who isnt keen on a wait for heat and hot water then you might be well advised to change it on your terms rather than the boilers. at least this way you can get several quotes and weigh up your options in comfort rather than a mad dash perhaps in the middle of winter.

my own advice would be to wait if its in reasonable condition but it depends on what you personally think about the variety of advice given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back