Does this sound serious loft problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sometime ago, I noticed there were quite a few holds in the under layer (what's the proper name of it) of the roof, which caused the loft a bit damp.

The ceiling of the living rooms is still ok. I found the problem because I could hear a tiny dripping noise when there was a heavy rain.

Does this sound serious problem? Should I get it repaired under my insurance or just patch it myself?

Suggestions are very welcome.

Many thanks
David

Sponsored Links
the felt on your roof is a 2nd defence against water ingress. the 1st being your roof covering, i would get the roof checked for missing/broken or slipped slates/tiles.

you can patch up the holes in the felt from inside using slips of type 1f roofing felt.

Looks like someone's done a '**** poor' job when they tiled the roof, the least they should have done is repaired the damage they caused. Best bet would be to try some 'duck tape' from the inside, not sure it will adhere to the roofing felt (going by your last phot) but its worth a try!!

If that doesn't work then it becomes a bit more problematic, you will find that the felt was laid horizontally from the bottom of the roof line to the top with each layer overlaping the previous, that way any penetrating rainwater travels down and over the felt until it reaches gutter and not underneath the next layer. To be watertight you will need to create that overlap, which makes the job a tadge more complicated than one may first think!

Try the duck tape as a first line of defence, if that doesn't work then you know you will have a slight problem on your hands.

Regards

There are a number of reasons why there are now holes in the felt (underlay)
Your problem is actually a roof problem.
Sure repair the felt to buy time but that all.
The easiest way to patch the holes for a diyer is to simply slide a strip of feltdown from above the hole between the felt lap, there by carrying any water over the hole down into the eaves or where ever the felt terminates. (not allways the gutter) This can be done from inside the loft.
The proper fix needs to be done from outside up on the roof.

However get the roof looked at externally..Maybe post some good pics back here.

Sponsored Links
60`s bungalow "ribbed" tiles :?: Psychic Nige says make sure you get a proper roofer. The roofing game is riddled with ******/chancers :eek:

Thanks all for your input. I had a second thought. Would the expanding foam be a good ideal to fix and fill the holes? It should fill the hole above the felt and hopefully stick to it. Also, it may even reach the crack of the tilt. I wonder, would this have any side effects, like trap water somehow to cause further damage.

waste of time!! your roof needs repaired from the outside...the felt isnt the problem here.

You seem to be suffering from a bad dose of "roofer's boot", but the problem is definitely with the outside roof covering.

Don't use expanding foam. It'll just make a mess and could force up the tiles on the outside or blow a bigger hole in the felt underneath.

You can repair the felt with metallic duct tape, it's strong and not affected by heat or damp unlike gaffer tape with deteriorates rapidly in damp or hot conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back