slating times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to slate my extension myself, have never done this before, and am wondering how long a professional roofer would take.

The ridge is 9.1m long, the roof measures 4.8m down each slope (2 sides) so total area is 43.68m2. The slates are 600mm x 300mm predrilled for 75mm lap.

I have already felted & counterbattened, but start battening & salting tomorrow - am fully expecting to be very slow compared to a pro, but can anyone suggest how many days a normal roofer would take? (excluding finishing such as fitting lead ridge, gutters etc)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd seriously advise you to reconsider, have you marked the roof out? have you sorted the slates? Are all your battens straight? 0.5 inch one way and 0.5 inch the other would render your roof next to useless in a strong wind. If you make a mistake (100% guaranteed) it will cost you probably thousands in water damage to the property plus 75% of the slates used as i bet your using Chinese or Spanish.

But to answer your question of just slating a roof a day and a half for 80+ sqm and a day for 43.68

1.5 days for 1040 slates!! come work for us.. unless they are just chucked on then not possible..

Sponsored Links
i usually average 900 - 1000 a day , not chucked on either. shame there's no work about at the momentr
tho !! You won't beat a welsh slater

Does that include cutting undereave slates, verge and top courses,

1,000 slates in an 8 hr day, isn't that over 2 slates a minute non stop.

You must be making a fortune :)

i usually average 900 - 1000 a day , not chucked on either. shame there's no work about at the momentr
tho !! You won't beat a welsh slater
I'm not suprised there's no work about with people like you about. ;)

we don't count eaves. Verges and tops cut first, usually use slate and a half on the verges tho. Money's ok not great mate, if your working for a 'firm' then your lucky to get £350 take home here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back