New Bathroom ceiling mounted speakers

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a pair of water resistant ceiling speakers for our bathroom, once the refurb work is done.

the plan is to play itunes throught them but I am unsure if I need a piece of kit between the speakers and the PC running itunes?

will i need an amp or somethig t opower the speakers?

cheers

Sponsored Links
most probably, unless thwy are power speakers.

what speakers are they, alot of ceiling speakers are 110V line, so need a different type of amp to normal speakers. you can get small amps that fit into a standard 2G back box, could be usefull in your app.

I will try to find one.

cheers tim

they are IP35 rated, 5 inch speakers at 8 ohms, 35W RMS

not powered as far as I am aware

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I don't know what your budget is... but if you can stretch there is a kit made by Sonos which allows you to recieve music / radio etc. wirelessley. One of there modules is also a powered amp (cost about £400 for the single receiver or £800 for a starter pack.

http://www.sonos.com/howitworks/multiroom/

I am thinking about fitting it to my bathrooom and keeping the box wired in the celing space...

Sonos is a good solution. It's simpler than running a PC; solves the amp problem; it works with a NAS drive which is a feature that Squeezebox bizarrely doesn't do; and it gives you access to internet radio and online music content when a PC or NAS drive isn't connected. Oh, and if you can still get hold of the older 100 controller then you can use that with wet hands shower-proof.

Sonos is a great solution

It requires a wired network connection for the first zoneplayer (essentially a 2 channel amplifier to drive your speakers but with added benefit of a subwoofer output, so its really a 2.1 system), then the rest is wireless, with a hand held wireless remote.

You will need an amplifier to drive your ceiling speakers unless they are active meaning they would require their own power supply, the Sonos zoneplayer will do this

The zoneplayer also has a line in phono connections so if you have an IPOD you can just plug it in.

If you alreadyu have an iPhone or Ipod touch there is a Sonos App from teh Apple App Store that gives you a remote control for Sonos with full display of Album art.

Go for it, easily expanded, just add aother zoneplayer and speakers for each extra room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back