kitchen lights - advice on switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small 2.5m by 2m kitchen, and am planning four downlights of 50Ws each. I also want to put in flourescent tube lighting above the wall cabinets, for times extra lighting is needed (always important in kitchen!).

The downlights will be dimmable, whilst the flourescent tube will just be switched, does anyone know of a single switch plate that caters for this? I have seen dual dimmers, and dual switches, but none with one of each !

Charlie.

Sponsored Links
alternatively you could get a 2 gang dimmer switch of your choice, and remove one of the switch modules by unscrewing the small nut behind the knob. you can then fit just an on/off module in its place. these on/off modules (don't remember the correct name) look like dimmers, with the round knob etc, but are basically just switches. any electrical wholesaler should have them.

Sponsored Links
downlighters make the room look like a tunnel

just what uyou need for a small room, eh?

and the cooking smells will rise upstairs through the holes in the ceiling.

one day they will be out of fashion like stone claddiung, blue fences, laminate flooring and lava-lamps, and then you will have to fill them in and replaster.

So how will you install downlights?

And do you live in England or Wales?

Finally, try to imagine that same small room lit by 2 x 100W pendants. How bright, and evenly lit do you think it would be? If you think it would be brighter and/or more evenly lit than with your 4 downlights then hopefully you'll realise what a terrible idea those downlights are.

Yup am in London, will put in a false ceiling. Appreciate the comments everyone, all very valid issues.

The downlights are actually being put in for my low light requirements, they will not be the main light source. Hence the question on dual switches, as there will be a proper non-dimmable light too.

If you dont contact the building Control Department of your local council BEFORE you start, then you will be breaking the law....circa £ 5,000-00 Fine !

Spark1 I forgot to mention I am getting this work done by a NICEIC qualified electrician, he or she will self certify their own work under the Part P thing and also notify building control, it just gets a bit tedious saying it! We are not all cowboys here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back