DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

wood flooring over chipboard sub floor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJRSJR

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Hello

I have a chipboard sub floor in my living room (30m2) with a laminate on top but I'd like a new floor that runs under the skirting. I've got information overload at the moment so could someone please tell me if I'm thinking clearly.

15mm engineered wood (31 sq m) seems to be recommended over 8.5mm (20 sq m) but this would put the level of living room floor higher than the kitchen (open plan). Taking out the sub floor could be an option but I think overall too costly. Also, once glued down it'll be impossible to get up and I may need access to electrics at a later date.

Tarkett Viva 8.5mm is becoming the likely option because:
it can sit on top of the chipboard
A click fit would make it easier to remover down the line

I also like the look of one of B&Q's Bevelloc range (13 sq m) but am deterred by the snobbery towards them.

Questions
Am I being shortsighted by not going for the 15mm option? I don't plan to live here forever so the increase in value on the house would matter, however it's a terrace house in an okay area but will never be surrounded by designer homes.

Is there any advantage in 8.5mm engineered wood over laminate? -by all accounts you can't sand the surface anyway so would the plastic coating on the laminate be a better option than inevitable scratches on the wood. I've currently got an Ikea Tundra laminate floor which has served me well for 12 years so haven't had a bad experience, maybe because it was glued together so sealed better.

I know it's a personal choice in the end but value anyone else's tuppence worth. Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
WoodYouLike

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote

15mm would be the better option, install it floating and use a 'ramp' as threshold to kitchen. The 15mm has a thicker layer of real wood.
(On modern chipboard you cannot glue anything down due to the water repellent layer on chipboard).

Real wood always adds more value to a home than any (even high range) laminate or thin veneer floors do.
 Alert Moderators
SJRSJR

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. I already have a tiled ramp at the level of the laminate which would make your suggestion very difficult, unless I could get the tiles up without damaging them.
 Alert Moderators
Deluks

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote

If you want to get really technical, you could remove the chip floor, and relay it in between the joists, supported on 2x2 battens fixed to the side and just below the tops of the joist. This will buy you back another 18 - 22mm , or whatever the chipboard is. While the floor's up, reroute the cabling. Plumbing could be trickier.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: