Please help - I cut my BT drop wire!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - firstly I am a muppet - I cut my BT drop wire as I was clearing some old lighting wiring from the front of my house to which the BT wire was clipped.

Now it seems BT would charge me £150 to replace which I cant afford.

I figure all I need to do is attach some replacement wire to the clipped end outside in some sort of junction box and then route that back to my existing junction box inside my property to which the internal cable is connected.

Question is - what wire can I use to replace it (The drop line is an old twin grey cable), and what junction box should I use to connect it.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
we use gel crimp connectors to make a waterproof join and then use a rould click together closure to keep it dry , as a temporary measure electrical chock blocks and tape will work but it wont lat long as the water will get in

A twin fig8 drop wire is getting to an age where replacement is a good thing - The insulation on these does crack and let and water in after a good time causing crackle on the line and problems from ADSL.

Can you move your master socket or internal joint box to the loft or a different location, taking your drop wire directly into the house and then running to the internal wiring? Possibly feeding your extension sockets from the other end of the run so to speak?

You ideally need to use a BT 'block terminal 66B' with a block. You CANNOT use jellies on this type drop wire. The insulation and conductor are too large.

Google block terminal 66b, or try ebay.

thanks for the help so far. i'll investigate whether i can feed shortened drop wire into house somewhere nearer.

any other suggestions as to what wire to use if i cant get drop line to reach house would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As I am an openreach engineer I think I know that you can use jellies on this type of dropwire how else do you think we connect to it when we cant replace it all ?????

As I am an openreach engineer I think I know that you can use jellies on this type of dropwire how else do you think we connect to it when we cant replace it all ?????

Well I know for sure that standard jellies designed for 0.5mm conductors is not going to work on the old fig-o-8 type cables. I would love to see it done. Perhaps you use something else?

The black cylinrical covers are used alot more these days, however, using a 66B would be the best option here.

We have different ones for dropwire then for normal 0.5 pairs

The insulation on the fig-o-8 I would have thought would have been too tough for an IDC, but hey, if thats what you use.

How about joining this old drop wire to a modern one then? Two different CSA's and different insulation. Are these jellies you talk of capable of accepting this mix?

Far be it for me to suggest deception, but do BT know you have cut it?

Making both ends look like they have worn & snapped rather than clean cuts will mean BT will come & replace it with a new one.

;)

How about joining this old drop wire to a modern one then? Two different CSA's and different insulation. Are these jellies you talk of capable of accepting this mix?

Yes, there are crimps designed for that purpose. It's not an unusual situation to have to splice an old-style drop wire to new cabling,

Can you recommend a place where I can get these crimps that handle different thicknesses of wires you are referring to? thanks

Scotch locks is what you should be using,they are black plastic with a fold off lid,you insert the wires then crimp,then fold the front cover down,you can(and i do) use them on all types of dropwire.As for the original problem why not try moving the master socket into your loft it would be better if it was under cover especially if you intend to just crimp the cable(which i would not recommend as it WILL go faulty) it would be better if it was in a B.t 66 if you put it in your loft and only use the dropwire and use the b.t master socket then b.t will still be responsible for the cable upto the master socket,you could then run your own cable to where you want the other sockets.(If you have old grey dropwire it is probably perishing and about to brake near the clamp ,you could complain of noise on the line and tell them its when the dropwire is moving in the wind )

Well I know for sure that standard jellies designed for 0.5mm conductors is not going to work on the old fig-o-8 type cables. I would love to see it done. Perhaps you use something else?

The black cylinrical covers are used alot more these days, however, using a 66B would be the best option here.
That is called a above ground dropwire enclosure it looks like a cross between a black pudding and a sex toy :LOL:

That is called a above ground dropwire enclosure it looks like a cross between a black pudding and a sex toy :LOL:[/quote]

I think I know what it is called I was explaining to the general public who wouldnt know what it was called , what the shape of the newest closure is .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back