Brush bar on dyson 04 does not roll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could you help with this little baffler,please.

The brush bar on my Dyson 04 has stopped turning when in a "auto brush on" mode. I have checked that the belt is not broken, there is no obstruction in the roller housing and the motor runs normally. Perhaps there is a faulty clutch and if so, how do I go about checking/repairing it,please? Or any other reasons you might think may be for the problem.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Look on the Dyson website - they have a bl**dy fabulous service engineer system. It is around £65 for CALL OUT + PARTS + LABOUR !!!!

We called them out very recently and our machine needed a new motor and clutch and they also replaced all the filters with new and virutally everything else they could replace was also replaced.

We costed it all up on EBAY and it was more to buy the parts than they were charging us, plus its all dyson parts with the guarentees etc, takes about 20mins max and no hasstles for you !!

The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to wait until they could fit us in (almost 2 weeks without a vacuum !!) but we were so pleased with the service, professionalism, tidyness etc ... it far outweighed the wait.

HTH,

Claire.

Hi,

Look on the Dyson website - they have a bl**dy fabulous service engineer system. It is around £65 for CALL OUT + PARTS + LABOUR !!!!

We called them out very recently and our machine needed a new motor and clutch and they also replaced all the filters with new and virutally everything else they could replace was also replaced.

We costed it all up on EBAY and it was more to buy the parts than they were charging us, plus its all dyson parts with the guarentees etc, takes about 20mins max and no hasstles for you !!

The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to wait until they could fit us in (almost 2 weeks without a vacuum !!) but we were so pleased with the service, professionalism, tidyness etc ... it far outweighed the wait.

HTH,

Claire.

Hi Claire,
Thanks for your input. However, I was kind of hoping that I might be able to do it on DIY basis. For it could be something very small or silly I need to check or do to put it right. I would however like to wait for a while for any possible further replies on this.

Regards,
wizardsaleem.

There are two belts on the DC04 clutch model - one from the motor to the clutch, and one from the clutch to the brush bar. Check out Dyson medic for useful info on repairing these...you'll probably need to look at the DC07 model though as the clutch is the same. You'll need a TX15 screwdriver! Cheers John

Sponsored Links
There are two belts on the DC04 clutch model - one from the motor to the clutch, and one from the clutch to the brush bar. Check out Dyson medic for useful info on repairing these...you'll probably need to look at the DC07 model though as the clutch is the same. You'll need a TX15 screwdriver! Cheers John

Hi John,
Thanks for a very interesting information. I wasn't aware that there were two belts on DC04. I would certainly check for those at the week end and let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Wizardsaleem.

Hi John,
Thanks for a very interesting information. I wasn't aware that there were two belts on DC04. I would certainly check for those at the week end and let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Wizardsaleem.

Hi John,

Just an update on Dyson.
To check for motor to clutch belt, I had to have an access to the clutch and your suggested site "Dyson Medic" was found to be very useful in guiding me through to it. And guess what what? the belt WAS broken-----so much for Dyson's breakproof belt technology! However, the problem is now solved. Thank you for your great help.

Regards,

wizardsaleem.

Well pleased you have it sorted! Claire is right about the Dyson fix it scheme though...if the motor packs in they'll fit a new one, plus new belts and filters, for £65. Thats cheaper than the parts prices alone to joe public. Cheers John

a clutch on a hoover???? FFS, by the way, my power steering has gone on mine, any clues? could it be my ECU..............got to come .

a clutch on a hoover???? FFS, by the way, my power steering has gone on mine, any clues? could it be my ECU..............got to come .

Hi,
Yes, you have made your point.First, a clutch on Dyson what next? Spark plugs, perhaps!
I personally believe that Dyson has gone way over the top in its design zealous .Apparently, clutch was itroduced to prevent the burning out of the roller belt but, in doing so ,it incorporated two additional components which can themselves wear out just as much as the roller belt. I refer to the extra belt which connects motor to clutch and then the clutch itself. From my first hand experiece they are considerably difficult to get at and cost many times more than a mere main belt. I would rather have a clutch-free vacuum which repair is much simpler and also costs less.
Cheers.

There have been clutches of a sort on vacuum cleaners for years, Hoover did one 20 years ago, though I cannot remember the model now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back