Very Noisy Vokera Excell 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler has defeated our British Gas Service Engineer!
The boiler kettles when the central heating is on, but only after the hot water has been used.
It is quiet when just using the central heating, and quiet when providing hot water, but if the CH is on and then we use the HW, then stop again, it pauses for a moment to think and then lets out an enourmous sigh and starts kettling and hammering and generally making an awful racket!
I've tried noise reducer (sentinel 400) which hasn't made much impact. If I flick the control switch from CH to just HW when it is being noisy it shuts up immediately. I can then flick it back and it generally stays quiet!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
slap your bg engineer hard and tell him to look at the diverter valve fulcrum arm not returning properly causing the bobbin to make a noise (which isn't kettling). more than likely the front seal (primary side) and lime on the pin is causing this (is your bg engineer either really old or really young)

a test fit for a monkey is to manually push the fulcrum arm to the resting position when it's making the noise to see if the noise stops.

Item (subject to confirmation) is 2910. It is attached to spindle on the diverter (not the domestic manifold). The beam pushes the spindle in when HW demand is made. Replacement shuttle has a plain washer as opposed to one that has a 'U' cross section

Sponsored Links
Cheers for advice, I'll stop buyinh more chemicals to pour in my radiators anyway! Is there anywhere I can get a diagram of the boiler so I can understand the problem?!

Ian,

We have the same boiler that recently had the same problem. Only difference ours only did it intermittantly! And guess what? It never did it whenever anyone came round. I actually solved it by turning the speed down on the pump. It was on setting 3, it is now on setting 2. Not sure how or why it worked, but it's been quiet for 4 months now!

Vokera specified a 5m head pump on the boiler and set it at speed mark three. By altering to any other speed, you are altering the boiler operational parameters. You have not cleared the fault but swept it under the carpet

'boiler operational parameters'???? - It's a pump! It pumps hot water round a series of pipes. It is still doing that now. Everything gets warm and cold when it should, the only difference is it does it without groaning! I'm more than happy with my 'solution'. ;)

ooops, X200, not X400. Silencer stuff, had a noisy boiler so kinda hoped that "boiler silencer" might help.... no such luck

The pump is set on speed three for a reason. The pump has to MOVE a quantity of water through the heat exchanger that is being blasted by some 24 kwatts of energy. If the water does NOT clear the heat exchanger at rated displacement, the sensor on the output causes the burner size to reduce. In HW mode this can cause problems as a 80,000 BTU boiler is designed to give you 9.5 litres of water at 35 degree temperature rise when the burner is gassed at correct pressure. With pump running slow, burner will also be undersize. So now the water flow rate will not be within design parameters.

As I said in my previous post, malfunction has been masked by distorting boiler operate sequence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back