Moving plug socket or adding a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

At the moment I am running my TV/DVD/Sat box/Games console from a socket using a 5m extension that runs in front of the skirting because there's no socket close by. I want to either move the socket or add a spur. I've got plenty of other sockets around the living room and have easy access to the under floor (suspended floor) by a trap door under the stairs. My questions are:

1:- If I add a spur (the socket I want to use has 2 cables going in / out so I'm pretty sure I can use this), and I take it under the floor, does it need to be protected / covered at all? I would run it along the joists but it would sit ontop of the insulation between the joists (a bit like in the roof space) - is this a fire hazard?

2:- If I add a spur how would I know that I'm not exceeding a limit to the number of sockets I have? I know the ring main I want to use serves just the living room which is about 30m2, and I have 3 double sockets, 1 of which feeds a spur.

3:- If I just want to move the socket could I blank off the socket that I want to move and put a junction box in it?

Thanks for any information

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

The cable will have to run over the underside of the joists (I have a big crawlspace of about 5ft), not along them, so I was planning to clip them to each joist until I get to where I want the new socket - my concern is that between the joists will be insulation (rockwool type) and that the cable would be hanging just below that, and would that be a fire hazard if I didn't shield the cable in some way? (I don't think so because in my loft the cables are just layed on top of the insulation).

So, I will use the existing socket to run the spur, routing the cable directly down (buried in the plaster) from the socket into the floor void, run the cable over the bottom of the joists by clipping in place, and then up through the floor (burried in the plaster) to my new socket.

I think I'm all set!

Sponsored Links
The better method is to extend the RING to the new socket, not just run a spur. To do this you will need two pieces of 2.5mm cable from the original socket to the new one.

You said that
my concern is that between the joists will be insulation (rockwool type) and that the cable would be hanging just below that
Cable should be supported and clipped. For the places where you go across joists I suggest you nail a length of timber across the joists and clip your cable to that. The cable will then be properly supported and won't hang down. Set clips a hammer's handle length apart.

Don't forget we are talking about PVC sheath with copper conductor inside. Your wiring will probably be there for several decades and over time it will stretch under its own weight if it isn't properly supported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back