Ford Fiesta Timing Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I own a 1.3 Ford Fiesta 52plate. The milage is 66,000 and I would like to know if the timing belt needs changing. I was told by a mechanic at the last MOT that the belt only needs changing around 100,000 miles. I would also like to Know if I could change the belt myself or is a garage job. Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
I thought they were still chain drive on them? Havent worked on anything newish though.

Armed with a haynes manual, and if you're semi confident with a set of spanners you'll have no problems.

If the belt drives the waterpump aswell, then thats worth changing at the same time, also do the tensioners (sometimes uses the waterpump as a tensioner) at the same time.

Personally, i always go for genuine OEM timing belts and tensioners rather than pattern parts

It's a rubber belt. How long will it take to change the belt and pump as a DIYer. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The 1300 Fiesta has a chain drive - so assuming yours is a 1.25 or 1.4? Anyway, the crankshaft sprocket is NOT keyed onto the crankshaft on these, so you must lock the whole assembly before getting stuck in. Can I suggest you get the info you need from Autodata for a small fee on the web? Ford say to replace the belt at 100k miles or 10 years - which is stretching it a bit! Cheers John

If you only do short trips, around town etc then change it sooner than recommended.

Dont buy a belt, buy a belt kit, especially on fords.

as advised, check the water pump is in good condition & if there is any play get it swapped for a reconditioned one.
It would be a shame to do all that work & the pump to fail later.

Get a Haynes manual & read it before you do anything, it will explain how to do it & may show how complicated it actually is etc.

Back