Joining 2 pitched roofs of differing heights? (pics added)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya

I don't know if this is going to make much sense, as its complicated, I will post photos tomorrow if it helps.

We live in a mid terraced house, our current kitchen is single storey, and has a pitched roof that adjoins the neighbours single storey kitchen (like a mirror image) Our kitchen sticks out 2m from our property. The current kicthen has a VERY low ceiling, leaving little room for insulation etc

We are currently extending, going out 4 m in total (2m past current kitchen)
With the extension, for various reason we would like a higher roof (still pitched)

Is is possible to join 2 pitched roofs of differing heights?

Another option would be to raise the current kitchen roof to match the new roof, but as it joins the neighbours roof, we would have to just raise our side and somehow join it to the neighbours lower one.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I have looked all over good for pics but haven't found anything like what we need yet :(

Sponsored Links
Once your roof becomes higher than the neighbours then a party wall will be added to form a break. Surely then it is a case of weathering the neighbours roof with lead abutment flashing and/or soakers, leaving your roof independent, no?

Thanks for your reply, that does makes sense yes (sorry we are beginners at roofing)

When you say a "party wall" do you mean an actual wall?
The roofs join over the shared passageway between the houses so wouldn't be strong enough to support much I don't think, but we would need some sort of partition.

Sponsored Links
We don't need planning permission cos what we are doing is too small to come under the planning permission rules for this area. Of course we are following Building regulations though.

My husband has building/plumbing/carpentry experience, so we are just doing it "DIY" with extra additional bought in help when we need it.
We have only recently decided go go a bit "taller" with extension, which is why I am asking here for advice.

You might find something like what you need by googling "tapered gutter" or maybe "lead flat roof "...cuz that`s what I think you`ll need to construct. Tho` not necessarily covered with lead sheet ;)

I might be missing the obvious, but if one roof is higher than the other as noseall said you can do this:

gutters.jpg

or this:

reroof_halifax_lg.jpg

hi again I am back with pics

potteryfirstdayschool170.jpg

potteryfirstdayschool167.jpg

potteryfirstdayschool171.jpg

As you can see, the roof joins our neighbours over a wooden support in the tunnel bit between the houses. So there is no brick wall we can build off.

The current kitchen roof that you can see has a very low ceiling, so low there is no room for insulation, and even the existing door had to be installed without a sill as the gap wasn't big enough. As you can see, the large window to the right of the door is also higher than the kitchen ceiling. We are removing the window and having it open plan inside, so we definitely need the walls to be higher.

We want to bring the whole roof up by a bricks wirth, maybe two.

So do this then:
reroof_halifax_lg.jpg

Do it at least 2 bricks higher or doing the lead upstand will be as fiddly as f**k. Might have some issues with that first floor window though. :idea:

cheers

hmm yeah the window... if it is a real problem I will just have to buy a replacement (its the only one in the house not UPVC anyway so it needs to go at some point.)

Hi I would personally talk to next door, if the whole roof was stripped and lifted (you would only loose about 10 percent in breakages) This method would maintain hips and not have the problems with windows and overall finished look. And the cost may be less than the alternatives. Good Luck

hmm yes. That will be my husbands department as he's doing the work himself. I will ask what he has planned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back