taking card payment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the customer trends and requests it looks as if I need to start taking payment by credit/debit card. Having had a look at a couple of offerings, trying to work out the cost is tricky.
One major player Elavon would cost me about £50 per month including the mobile terminal rental and the minimum commission they require.
This seems a bit pricey to me, but as a newcomer to this it may be that is the going rate.
Can anyone comment on their own experience and pricing for this service.

Sponsored Links
we have a card machine (fixed line at home) costs us a minimum of £12.50 a quarter or a percentage of each transaction last quarter cost us £45ish
we have the facility at home and just put all the card details on the job sheet and process upon arrival home each day.
we use the Streamline service supplied by Cardsave.

I don't know which company operates it, but I think there is a service whereby you can take card payments through your mobile. If this service is economical, it must be easier if you take payments at people's homes.

Sponsored Links
*stops lurking*

Another option is to use Paypal Pro, they have a virtual terminal, so as long as you have web access you can take card payments.

And you can also integrate it into a website, and it looks like any other card taking checkout.

Think its only £20 a month + what ever charges per transaction.

Maybe not as professional as barclays etc, but still worth considering.

I use WorldPay and for £15 per month you can combine with an online shop. I also use it a lot to take cards over the phone. Its a very efficient service. You might have to have an online shop though as that is its primary use.

I've often thought that Paypal could easily hide a very thriving black economy!

If you are able to buy and sell using it, money might never reach your actual bank account, hence avoiding tax liability.

Thanks for the help all, and the suggestions. Have decided to go with cardsave with a mobile terminal @ £30/month. Hopefully this will pay for itself by reducing the time & effort spent on sending invoices, reminders, reminders, reminders, court paperwork, etc, and it should help reduce my stress levels in chasing the difficult/slow payers.

I've often thought that Paypal could easily hide a very thriving black economy!

If you are able to buy and sell using it, money might never reach your actual bank account, hence avoiding tax liability.

theyll find it on a proper investigation

Thanks for the help all, and the suggestions. Have decided to go with cardsave with a mobile terminal @ £30/month. Hopefully this will pay for itself by reducing the time & effort spent on sending invoices, reminders, reminders, reminders, court paperwork, etc, and it should help reduce my stress levels in chasing the difficult/slow payers.

Good choice. After 12 months call them and they will reduce your monthly rental.

Sponsored Links
Back