Windows jammed shut because of paint!!!! Help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I recently moved house. The windows have wooden frames. The previous owner painted all the woodwork whilst the windows were shut. As a result the pain has got into the gap between the top and bottom sections of the window. Does anybody know what implement I should try to use to attempt to dislodge the paint and therefore help me open the window?!?!?!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hot air gun, brute force, and a couple of paint scrapers did the trick for me :)

Keep the gun away from the glass though, you might crack it.

Sponsored Links
BigGar said:
Good morning

I recently moved house. The windows have wooden frames. The previous owner painted all the woodwork whilst the windows were shut.

Depending on the ammount of paint build up
I use a lump hammer. Hold the head and gently nudge the stale end at each opening corner and round latches, takes a few goes but I've only managed to crack 1 pane in the last 35 yrs :oops:

I see this is a bit old - but I've just come across it.
Are these sash windows? Talking about top and bottom suggests they might be.
If so, they only really satisfactory solution is to get the sashes out to clean them up. Further advice available on request :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back