Lead valleys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently having a flat roof to pitch converson done on the third bedroom extension on my 1930's semi. Where the new hipped roof meets the old the builder has made 2 lead valleys. where the cut rosemary tiles sit above the lead there is quite a large gap, should this gap be filled with mortar. I asked the builder and he said he would if I wanted but they usually don't because the mortar can suck the water in by capillary action, is this correct. I'm also not sure if th valleys are constructed properly as, he's basically made a vee out of floorboards and layed lead on top. The pictures of valleys I've seen have a slat running up the edge of the floorboard and the lead shaped over the top of this slat the the tile sits on top.

Sponsored Links
where the cut rosemary tiles sit above the lead there is quite a large gap, should this gap be filled with mortar.

like your builder said perfectly acceptable so long as the lead valley has an appropriate upstand and the tiles adequate cover.
which also answers your 2nd question.

where the cut rosemary tiles sit above the lead there is quite a large gap, should this gap be filled with mortar.

like your builder said perfectly acceptable so long as the lead valley has an appropriate upstand and the tiles adequate cover.
which also answers your 2nd question.

Thanks for reply what do you mean by upstand, please explain.

the lead in the valley should be turned up at the edges to create an upstand
to form a gutter, without this the rain/snow can wash under the lead and tiles.

pictures of valleys I've seen have a slat running up the edge of the floorboard and the lead shaped over the top of this slat the the tile sits on top.

just like that.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure there is no upstand I think it's layed flat on the boards, plus I noticed a couple of nails through the lead. Will have a look tommorrow and if it's wrong will ask him to put it right. Thanks for the help.

No upstands, asked builder and he said there isn't enough gap when you use rosemarys and if you did put in an upstand it would make the tiles kick up. I must admit the gap didn't look big enough but should he have done something to create a gap that would allow an upstand and the tiles to lay flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back