something fallen behind the membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Our roof is tiled and lined with a membrane. During high winds we've noticed a noise, like rattling boards, so i went up to check it out - i cant see any tiles displaced from the ground level but i have found a small bulge in the membrane and behind it I can feel something that is loose and shouldnt be there- when rattled it makes the noise -

I guess it might be some loose mortar or even part of a tile but my question is to get it out should i cut the membrane or take the tile off the roof? Problem with the second option is that I might not be able to locate it easily from the outside! problem with the first option is it would leak if a tile failed and thus would need to be repaired! what to do? opinions please!!

Sponsored Links
No, dont cut the felt. Can you just bump it down to the eaves? You don't have to take the tile off, you can just slide it up to get access(if its a big pan tile)

What kind of tiles do you have?

No, dont cut the felt. Can you just bump it down to the eaves? You don't have to take the tile off, you can just slide it up to get access(if its a big pan tile)

What kind of tiles do you have?

Thanks for this - might try to bump it down but it does seem to be a bit stuck = although your comment about lifting the tile has caused another concern!!!!

i think our roof may have been put on incorrectly as the bottom of each tile appears to be nailed in (each nail is not fully nailed in and the end is slightly bent down wards) on further inspection the bottom of most of the roof tiles are not flush and appear to have lifted slightly.
I have a couple of spare tiles in the garage and they are just plain flat tiles - they are quite large (about 2 -3 foot in length). ANy thoughts? may get some pictures up this w/e

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back