Test button on RCCB not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a small Consumer Unit in my shed. It has an RCCB in it, which doesn't trip when I press the test button.

I've wired it as follows

At the top of RCCB
Terminal 1 =. Live Line
Terminal 3 =. Neutral Line

At the bottom of the RCCB there is
Terminal 2 = Buzz Bar
Terminal 4 = Neutral link to conector

Do you think the RCCB is faulty, or have missed something?

Thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Terminal 1-4 doesn't help unless we know what the RCCB is - a picture may help?

If it doesn't trip when the test button is pushed, either it's been wired wrong, or it's faulty (could be somethign as simple as a mechanical problem with the button, or could just be totally dead). While you could test it using a proper RCD tester (as I assume you will be doing since you've fitted this new) then that would show whether it's totally dead - it isn't worth it in this case - if the test button doesn't work, and you're sure the wiring is correct, then replace it...

I've fitted a small Consumer Unit in my shed. It has an RCCB in it, which doesn't trip when I press the test button.
I'm a bit reluctant to ask this, but....

you have connected the supply to the CU, haven't you?

The RCD Test button will NOT work, unless the incoming supply is energised! (Think what powers the test button circuitry!) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think it's possible that someone with insufficient knowledge might think that it was worthwhile caution to check that the RCD worked before connecting the supply....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back