Noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators now make a noise like a kettle boiling. This is since I flushed and refilled the system. I have bled all the radiators , a number of times, but I am still getting these noises. I assume it is air but how can I make sure it is all out of the system? Is there a best order for bleeding radiators, ie nearest the boiler, or higest, or furthest from the boiler.

many thanks again

David

Sponsored Links
Order isn't important. Some more system details would help please?

What prducts have you put in and how did you flush?

I put in Ferrox DS40 descaler and cleanser. I had cold spots on various radiators, and odd radiators wouldn't come on and after numerous goes at trying to get them going I opted for the flushing of the system, (clues from this web site). I put the stuff in the header tank and let it run about the system for about 6 days, drained the system, flushed it once, put in the nuetraliser, left it for two days, flushed the system three times, as recommended. The net result was for the first time that I can remember my whole house was warm, even hot. The down side was some of the valves started leaking, well weeping, so I put in some internal sealer every thing seems fine apart from these noises similar to the noise you get just after you switch on the electric kettle.

Thanks
D

Just a thought...
Are you sure the noise is not due to water flowing rapidly past partly-closed valves, etc? If your system was heavily clogged up before, it's possible that the pump was turned up to try to get some heat round the system. Now it's clean(er), the pump may need turning down.

Or are the 'kettling' noises temperature-dependent?

Sponsored Links
It is a thought, tho' I am still getting air out of a couple of the radiators. How do you turn a pump down?

Thanks

You never said what type of CH system you have.
If the boiler is a Combi, with a built-in pump, , the pump speed is fixed. If the boiler is conventional, and the pump a separate unit, there MAY be a 3-position switch near the electrical cable entry on it. If it's on 3 (or III) turn it back to 2 (or II) and see if there's an improvement in the noise AND all the rads still get warm enough.

It is not a combi, but a boiler with a pump. It is a bit of a nightmare, every plumber who has ever looked at it has asked if we actually get hot water and heating. I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight, as it is in a wee boiler house attached to the side of the house. One other question if I may, can air get into the system but no water come out if you et my meaning, and is that Boss white stuff the right stuff for the ends of the pipe going into a compression joint. Does it aid sealing of the joint?

Thanks again

Dont use boss white, it sets hard just use ptfe or jet blue a not setting compound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back