Rebuilding stone chimney stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just been up removing a wasp nest from my circa 1855 terrace house chimney, it was right at the top.
I have replaced a broken slate at the top of it & repointed it however I'm pretty concerned at how loose the top layer of bricks are.

The morter between them is just black & crumbly & the security of it concerns me now.

It also looks to have bowed out at the top on one side.

I'm pretty sure that what it really needs is taking down & rebuilding so that at least the top 3 layers are more secure, however it will probably mean the layers below also need rebuilding with new morter etc.

However to do it will I'm sure take quite a while & require some scaffolding platform, I dont fancy doing it with just ropes & a harness like I did today.

FIrst Question is, will I be able to have just a scaffolding platform around the chimney supported by the roof or will the platform need
scaffolding down to ground level?

Cheers,
Mattylad.

Sponsored Links
depending on the weight that will be on the scaff, i wouldn't overload a chimney scaff too much. Best ring up the scaffolders

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back