Pitched roof rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house and this is the extent of the so called kitchen extention thought to be done 20yrs ago. There are many things wrong and i would like to change it back to what it once was ie. pitched all the way as shown next door (last 2 pics)

View media item 14548 View media item 14539 View media item 14547 View media item 14546 View media item 14550 View media item 14551 View media item 14552 View media item 14554 View media item 14540 View media item 14541 View media item 14542 View media item 14543 View media item 14544 View media item 14545 View media item 14549 View media item 14553 View media item 14555 View media item 14556 View media item 14557 View media item 14558
Any tips would be gratefully received in helping to make this structure safe. The existing roof joists are 75cm x 50cm. Am i ok to replace with the same tanalized wood that they use for decking. The wall plate is to be 100cm x 50cm against the wall and on the lower part of the roof wall. Roof width is 6ft / length will be about 12ft..The roof beam going across the middle is sitting on wooden lintels obviously not strong enough to support the weight. i know a small notch has to be cut out to sit on both wall plates but how does it sit and attach to this middle beam (just rests on it?)
The window next to the door would have to be smaller (same as shown in neighbours pic) and the window opposite would be bricked up. Back window the same although lower down. Would i need building regs with this and even a scaled drawing to show them. Also the bottom half of the kitchen was probably an outhouse of some kind and the cavity width is only 1 inch; will this be a problem with damp in the future.
How long would a pro builder take to rebuild back to a pitched roof and what cost roughly would be involved. Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use tanalised timber. The stuff they use to make it rot-resistant is fine outside, but you don't want it inside your house.

Also, once you've got the roof rebuilt, it won't be getting wet (hopefully!) so there is no benefit to having it.

I wouldn't use tanalised timber. The stuff they use to make it rot-resistant is fine outside, but you don't want it inside your house.

Also, once you've got the roof rebuilt, it won't be getting wet (hopefully!) so there is no benefit to having it.

What?? all roofing battens are tanelized ( or protomized)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back