Potterton Surprima Boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This boiler was installed in my home about 6 years ago, when the houses were new.

Each time it comes on there is a distinct whistling noise coming from the boiler - it is similar to that of a car driving quite quick and the slightest opening in the window makes a high pitched noise.

A friend of mine (plumber) fitted a device that gets rid of air in the system and we also got rid of any air in any of the radiators.

I noticed recently that the water in the radiators was a blackish colour also.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does the nopise sound mechanical? or actually like wind-noise? If former, could be fan. Not really worth doing anything about until it finally expires, then replace it. If latter, it really could be wind - or in fact air leaking past a defective seal. Boiler casing is supposed to be 'room-sealed', so that flue gas (carbon monoxide., etc.) stays where it belongs. Get it fixed.

If the water in the rads is black probably there's no inhibitor in the system. Maybe never was. Needs a flush out (how thorough depends on how much black crud comes out!) and inhibitor added. Might as well wait until weather warms up if it's been like that for ever.

Tahnks for the reply.

Its definately not the fan - my plumber friend got me a new fan, but when he came to fit out found that it didn't need replacing.

Unfortunately at the time we couldn't replicate the noise! Now it seems to be doing it more than 70% of the time its turned on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back