multifuel stove instead of open fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope someone can give me some advice.
I currently have an open fire with a back boiler that very effectively heats the water and radiators in my 3 bed bungalow. I'd like to remove the fireplace and have a multifuel stove installed. Is it possible to connect a multifuel stove to the existing system ? Also I need a new vented indirect hot water cylinder so will this effect my options? I have been quoted between 6 -8 thousand pounds :eek: to convert the existing system to run off an oil combi so that's out but could anyone give a rough idea of how much my preferred option might cost?
Thanks for any info

Denise

Sponsored Links
Impossible to cost without seeing the job, but £6-8 K sounds expensive.

Best to get a quote or two from the stove makers, and compare the advice they give you with the quotes,

I'd like to remove the fireplace and have a multifuel stove installed. Is it possible to connect a multifuel stove to the existing system ?

as long as it has a big enough back boiler in it

Also I need a new vented indirect hot water cylinder so will this effect my options?

no :D

price $ 500 plus travelling :LOL: ;)

Thanks for your quick replies.
Sorry to be thick but is this a job for a plumber or a stove 'fitter'?
Must admit to being a bit startled at the 6-8K myself but have eventually managed to get out of bed again and face the world!!!

Sponsored Links
It's a job for a plumber/builder, but most stove manufacturers have either their own fitters or a recommendation list.

Buy your own stove on line & source an independent HETAS installer/plumber, Google will give you a list in your area. You’ll save a fortune over the premiums the large one-stop stove stores will add on; I’ve got one on site at this very moment installing a multi-fuel stove ;) .

You need a: stove installer + builder who knows fireplaces + a plumber.

You might find these all in one person. You are best to find a stove installer who does wet systems and a builder who does fireplaces.

In North Wales... just worked assisting on a couple of these very similar to what you ask.

Fireplace back to builder's opening and lined with concrete board ready to paint £600
Work on superimposed and back hearth (assuming constructional hearth up to scratch) £150-£250 ish not inc. what materials you require (basic tiles thru to slate etc.).
Line chimney is often required assume £600 for 5-7 metres
Fit new cylinder £400
Fit stove and connect to pipes and add closure plate etc. £500
Maybe fit air vent £50
Sweep chimney £40

That's £2,440 including flexible liner, cylinder all materials and all labour.

Of course there might be some other work involved depending on what you have in place at the moment but nothing that will make much of a difference to price... this does not include the stove. Scaffolding (to assist liner install) can add costs.

So £2,500 to £3,000 I would suggest. Scaffolding would add to this. Stove for £500-£1,000 ish max. if bought online.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Good to know it can be done and possibly a good few grand less than putting in an oil combi :)

Just need to find myself a nice lumberjack now!

Thanks

Denise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back