Worcester 37 CDI versus Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837/937

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling to choose between these two. My installer believes the Worcester is an odd layout with common parts difficult to access compare to the Vaillant.....he is happy to install whichever I choose though....I am supplying boiler as part of a house extension.

Is there any difference in parts prices etc...between the Worcester and Vaillant to help in my decision ?

From what I read on this forum both seem very good boilers.

Is the actoSTOR feature worth the bit extra on the 937 as oppose to the 837 or is it something else to go wrong ! I live in a hard water area....is this just another place for scale to eventually form ? A combi mate will be fitted.

Sponsored Links
They are very similar in cost and performance.

The Worcester have a very good trade technical help compared with Vaillant but both boilers are reliable.

I also prefer vaillants as I mostly repair boiler and find them easier to work on but as tey fail so rarely thats not very important.

The 937 is a storage combi which gives a two minute boosted flow rate whioch many consider a good idea but it costs more!

There is also a Worester storage combi but it is floor mounted and about the size of a small fridge. The earlier designs had many problems but the later ones seem to have solved them. I am fitting one shortly.

Tony

The storage option will cost more to run and more to buy.
The thing to ask before you decided to the extra cost is: what am I going to do with an increased flow that lasts only 2 minutes, after which it goes down to the same rate as the none storage model.

As Tony said, not much between them in price or quality of the boiler. Vailant is currently considered to be one of the worst brands when it comes to aftersales/customer service, and most agree that WB is the best when it comes to that.

Sponsored Links
My vote goes to the Vaillant.

The choice of which installer is more important.

Andy. :LOL:

The thing to ask before you decided to the extra cost is: what am I going to do with an increased flow that lasts only 2 minutes, after which it goes down to the same rate as the none storage model.

Not enough time for a shower or a bath in this scenario.....and I'll have a dishwasher so no need to fill the sink.

I think I'll go for the Vaillant 837.....my installer prefers Vaillant as well......thanks to all for the advice. :)

As A Service Engineer I would rather work on the Ecotec, I find the worcester range Horrible to service & Repair ;)

What size house do you have for the 837. I have been told to dake a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28Kw for a four bedroom two bathroom house but am worried it is too small

What size house do you have for the 837

It'll be 4 bed semi with ensuite shower room plus 1 bathroom. 2 adults + 2 kids under 9.

I survived for years in my 3 bed plus 1 bathroom with a 24Kw....bath took a little while to fill but other than that it was fine. This time I'm opting for a bigger boiler to give a better flow to the bath and maybe the ability to run two showers together.

Before deciding on a bigger boiler make sure you measure your mains flow....you can't get 15 litres per min out if only 12 litres per min are going in.

The 937 is a storage combi which gives a two minute boosted flow rate whioch many consider a good idea but it costs more!

The tanks give 10 minutes of boosted DHW and take 2 minutes to re-heat.

Go for the Vaillant, a cr@p boiler, more noise than a 747 taking off, and a service department that's non existent.

But what the hell it's easy to work on, which is a big bonus. :evil:

The design of the 937 gives you the potential for drawing off 200 litres in 10 mins.

How you draw it off is up to you, and once the heatstore is depleted completely only two minutes later it is ready for the next 200 litres.

In Germany and parts of Europe they sell the heatstore backpack with any of the ecoTEC 8 series, over here it is bundled with an 837 model and called 937.

We have found the 8 and 6 series to be the quietest boilers. But I have to agree with DIA that the customer service, once superb, has been brought down to the level of Glowworm.

The Worcester CDi range is also a good boiler. With our customers the choice of 440Cdi versus 937 is often resolved by whether the boiler is wanted on the floor or the wall. Subject to a satisfactory flow rate of course.

The real benefit of the 937 is immediacy of the HW supply to the taps.

Rather than wait for the boiler to warm up then wait while the heated water gets to the taps you only have to wait for the immediately available HW from the backpack to get to the taps.

(This assumes of course that you have turned on the backpack otherwise it's just like other combis!) :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back