Wiring for towel rail thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a small heated towel rail (only 60W) as a general heater/damp preventer in a tiny (4' x 2'6") downstairs toilet.

I would like to use a thermostat to control temp - believe it or not it DOES get too warm in there with towel rail permanently on!

Question is this:

Heater is connected to ring main via a switched, fused spur with flex outlet. Can I simply run a twin and earth cable from spur outlet Live to the thermostat and back to the heater flex via a choc-block (there is plenty of room in the wall box so it will be an enclosed connection)?

The cable will be properly chased into the wall etc. My only query is whether I am allowed to use a choc-block within the spur housing.

If not, what is the easiest way of connecting the stat?

Sponsored Links
The connection in the back of the spur box is acceptable as it's accessible for maintenance.

Be sure to check the requirements of the thermostat you choose as to how many conductors you are gonna need.

Thanks.

Stat only needs 2 connections so I'm using twin and earth. Essentially cable will function as a Live Feed/Switched Live Return.

Sponsored Links
Then you're all set.

Remember to identify the switched live return as a live (brown) conductor at all points ;)

and folloe the stat makers MI on where to fit it.. not a good idea next to a window and not above the rad..

And if you are putting this cable in from scratch, why not use 3 core and earth? You have the option to change is a few years time then....

and folloe the stat makers MI on where to fit it.. not a good idea next to a window and not above the rad..

Put it on the wall near (but not too near) to the toilet. That way you dont have to move far to fiddle with the tempreature whilst reading the paper in your "Mancave".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back