Leak around soil pipe in conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak around the soil pipe in a corner of the conservatory. Having waited in this week for several roofers who didn't turn up, now looking at trying to sort this out myself.
There is a lot of old expanding filler around the area, which I suspect has got so old that it's started the leak.
Could I clean the area up and get rid of the excess filler then put some sort of collar around the pipe just above the roof to stop the leak?
I thought I recalled something similar on here a few years back, but can't find it now.

Sponsored Links
You don't say whether the pipe is iron or plastic or what the roof is made of. Either way it's a pain to go through one. Depending on pitch, materials & placement of pipe there could be a number of ways of tackling this. Any chance of a diagram or some photos?

The soil pipe is of course iron. Conservatory roof is upvc/glass. The hole in the roof is a couple of inches larger than the dia of the pipe and has been filled in with expanding foam.
I would not envisage going through the roof but repairing from above the roof by cleaning up the filler and levelling the area then using some sort of compatible 'flashing' or collar around the soil pipe where it hits the roof to stop leak.
What I don't want to do is add more gunk, I was quite surprised by the amount of filler around there, think Mt Etna on a bad day!

They were certainly very generous with the hole! In the circumstances I think I'd resort to the dreaded flashband. First get hold of some thin aluminium sheet and cut a patch from it to reduce the size of the gap around the pipe. If you can cut a groove in the wall a few inches above the roof and bend/cement the edge of the flashband into it, it will help keep the weather out. Work from front to back of the stack. If you use the proper primer you should get a good few years out of the repair, but be prepared to do it again.

Sponsored Links
Flashband..... Or properly get a lead slate made and fitted to the pipe onsite.
You might be able to get a pre made slate cut it up the front or side then get it burnt when it's in position.

Flashband..... Or properly get a lead slate made and fitted to the pipe onsite.
You might be able to get a pre made slate cut it up the front or side then get it burnt when it's in position.
You`ll be lucky :oops: and if it`s an iron pipe ,it`ll still need a mastic seal to the lead sleeve :idea: . If it was my house, I`d do the flashband...my(gas) bottles have run dry ;)

I do recall seeing a propriatory collar for sealing these roofs to pipework. It went around the pipe and had a collar above and below the sheet to seal and cover the gap, and was tightened togther with a series of bolts.

Rubber seals allowed movement and kept the rain out. Overall it was a much better looking job than seeing a gap around the pipe, and a load of lead/flashband and heaps of silicone when looking up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back