Leaking conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aluminium conservatory - simple design, looks like a lean to!! It came with the house and is about 20 years old.

Ever since we've been in the house we have had leaks from the roof, from the low end i.e. not where it joins to the house. The water seems to come down from inside the 2 metal struts which support the roof - is this possible? If it is, any tips on where the water could be getting in? I know this is a difficult question to answer as where it gets in could/probably is nowhere near where the water comes out but I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to tell could be a number of things. Perhaps for starters run a bead of clear glazing silicone alongside the bars at the bottom end, just as far up as you can reach, see if that helps.

Does it drip into the gutter? Perhaps the water is running back on itself and dripping inside? Whats the pitch of the roof like?

The roof probably drops about a foot from where it joins the house. It is not a big conservatory - probably 10 foot square.

I have put sealant in various places but it doesn't seem to help.

Noseall, we did think about replacing it but had the roof and sliding door replaced (with French doors) and hoped this would solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the leak is coming from where the roof meets the wall but is running down the bar system. I would double check the flashing/seal against the wall.

Thought we'd sorted this out but over the past few weeks the leak has come back.

I am going to try and look at the flashing/seal where the conservatory meets the wall of the house but to get a good look at this I will need to get onto the conservatory. Now obviously I'm not going to get onto the roof itself but if I put a scaffold board across the struts, would it support me? I'm about 14 stone.

Thanks.

Too risky! Prop it up with timber upright and lintel stud work underneath

Any photo's ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back