Insulation pitched roof help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We need to insulate a ceiling in a newly built kitchen. Above the kitchen will be a bedroom. To the side of the kitchen is a small pitched roof .
Is it very tricky to insulate ourselves? We are unsure where the air gaps should be! Are there any good diagrams anywhere on the internet as it is so much easier to learn from pictures.
We are paying for builder, electriction, plumber and plasterer and would like to try and do the insulating ourselves.

Sponsored Links
A conventionally insulated pitched roof, done using fibreglass quilt will require 150mm between the ceiling joists and 150mm above and across the joists, providing slightly above required minimum of quilt insulation, i.e. 280mm.

Venting the airspace that remains above this quilt can be achieved with either roof tile vents, gable air bricks, over-fascia vents or soffit vents.

If you choose to vent via the soffit or fascia then you will need to install eaves ventilators to prevent the insulation (between the joists) stifling the airflow.

The insulation is normally pushed down into the eaves so that it meets the wall insulation hence the need for eaves ventilators to allow the passage of air past this narrow part of the roof detail.

Sponsored Links
If we use fascia or soffit vents are we going to struggle as roof fascia and soffit are already built and fixed in place? Does this mean we need to remove fascia/soffit boards and install new ones with vents built in?
Are the eaves ventilators easy to fix in place? because our roof is already built I am thinking some of this work should have been carried out before the roof was finished

g xx :confused:

me again

I am just about to buy the fiberglass quilt and after reading the info on wickes site, the quilt I thought we needed to buy says, '' for diy use and not to be used on new builds''
Is there a certain type of fiberglass quilt we need? and what is wrong with the wickes stuff?
g xx

and what is wrong with the wickes stuff
Because its so sh**e it won't match that of a decent make like Rockwool and it probably won't achieve the minimum heat loss requirements building regs demand. The cheaper brands rarely confess just how bad their insulation is so leave the important info off and instead stick silly disclaimers on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back